First post, by OldCat
Title says it all, really, but allow me to add some flavour to it. I am trying to compile a list of best CGA and Hercules games to play on my retro stations with mono screens and these particular graphics cards (namely Tandon CSP1622 and Toshiba T3100).
- key thing - these games should be fun to play, even after all these years
- but any games that hold a special place in your heart will do (just write a few words why it's worth to try it)
- the more obscure, the better
- ideally games should look good on monochrome screens
- ideally CGA ones should be "emulatable" (is that even a word?) on Hercules
I know there are lists of CGA games out there on Moby Games and various abandonware sites, but I would like to put together a list of best ones, fun ones, interesting ones.
Let me start with a few examples of titles I already have, like and am playin in 2018:
- Colorado, Targhan, Starblade, Metal Mutant - all great 2D games from French developer Silmarils. They all work on both CGA and Hercules (emulation).
- North & South - ton of fun and local multiplayer possible. CGA & HGC both.
- Prince of Persia - timeless classic. Native CGA and Hercules support.
- Prehistoric - tough as nails, but I have a soft spot for it. Native CGA and Hercules support.
- BlockOut - 3D Tetris clone. Not that great today, but played a hell out of it as a kid. Native CGA and Hercules support.
- Budokan - nostalgia factor mostly for me, but still can be enjoyable in small doses. Native CGA and Hercules support.
- Digger - quick, fun, works via SimCGA (you have to jump through a few hoops) on Herc.
- Sokoban - did not like it too much as a kid, but appreciate logic games more now. Native CGA and Hercules support.
I will expand the list further, but would love to hear what are your picks.