VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm running Tomb Raider 3dfx GLIDE under DOS and everything seems to be perfect, the game runs and plays fine.. except when I go into Detail Settings and go from Normal to Mipmapping, it locks up for a while, then the screen goes black. Is this normal behavior? Asking because the Voodoo card I am using was damaged, and I did some work on it (replaced a missing cap).. Not sure if it's working 100%.

Screamer Rally 2 in 3dfx mode also starts and shows the 3dfx splash screen, then black screen..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For Tomb Raider, no, that's not normal. It "locks up" for a few seconds, then it should continue running with the settings applied. Works fine this way on my AMD X5-133 and a Voodoo1.

When the screen goes black, can you still do anything? Pressing left or right cursor keys should play the menu browsing sound, even if you can't see anything. Or does the system lock up completely?

Reply 2 of 2, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I solved the issue by not being a lazy ass and installing from original CDs instead of downloaded ISOs. It works flawlessly in Tomb Raider and Screamer 2 now. Not sure if it's abnormal but Tomb Raider has seams showing on polygon edges with mipmap disabled and there are issues with track textures in Screamer 2 (but I can verify this is universal by watching videos of Voodo version the game on Youtube). It appears I have managed to fully restore this Voodoo 1, yay me!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.