VOGONS

Should I buy a 56k modem?

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 22, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
0kool wrote:

Well, you could always use it to play some games via Hyperterminal with your mates. It's not hard to pick one at all, as long as you hunting for old hardware - a few will surely come your way (and likely will cost you nothing to a few bucks at most).

What is HyperTerminal for?

Reply 22 of 22, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Keep in mind you have to have land line phone service to be able to use dialup at all. In my area, you're paying $40-$80 per month (depending on long distance features) for a land line. My 120/15mbps cable internet is $80 a month and I get MagicJack for $20 per year, and Tracfone on my cell for practically nothing... so a land line is a horrible value if you are keeping it around for emergency internet use. I'm not even sure any modern web pages could even be accessed with dialup because the speed is so low. We used to connect at 24.4kbps in 1998-2000 before we got cable. That's 3K BYTES per second maximum. It'd take at least a minute just to download the page and images for the main vogons forum (I saved it to disk just now and its 180KB).

I have asked many times and never really found any reason to keep a dialup modem... I do still have some, just in case I can harvest parts from them or something, but I would never ever seek one out.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.