VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
im searching for something better that EDIT/FEDIT for plain text.. It have to have CTRL+C/CTRL+P clipboard or customizable keyshortcuts, because i unable to get used to CRTL/SHIFT+Insert..
Otherwise, i would be nice to have replace feature, when is possible to copy both strings from clipboard and dont have to write them manually.. + F3 search and Undo + possibility to open / create file from commandline by Program.exe FIlename.txt

its all what i actually want form plain text editor..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 2 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im using DOS 7.1, you probably mean Edit.com, im searching for something better..

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 3 of 11, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I can't think of any word processors or text editors for DOS with ^C/^V for copy paste besides EDIT

What features do you need that are superior to EDIT for plain text? I typically launch edit with /B /H flags for high res + black background + white text. It's the only editor for DOS that i'm aware of that uses CTRL+C / CTRL+V for copy pasting and it has plenty of features e.g.

Paging, moving single words, tabbing, delete line, copy paste, special characters, find and replace, multiple windows, etc..

Beyond that I would suggest getting into Wordstar or Borland Turbo X editors (modern day JOE editor for *nix system). The default controls aren't what you're familiar with in modern Windows but you can thoroughly customize them. You can find the manual for Borland C++ 3.0 via google as an example if you want to read more about it.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 5 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
spiroyster wrote:

How about vim or emacs? Both have a learning curve, but are about as feature fledged as any modern text editor.

Emacs has cua mode, which allows for standard PC shortcuts. Included in djgpp distribution I think. Needs 386 or better.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 11, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check out http://www.shawnhargreaves.com/fed/
You can customize keys shortcuts. Simple and clean interface. I used this for quite a while before I get myself more used to the way VIM'ing works.
Unfortunately, you need to build it for plain DOS with DJGPP as the included prebuilt binary is for WIN32 console. If you don't want to mess with compiling codes, then I think you may be able to stub WDOSX into the WIN32 binary and get it run on plain DOS, but I am not quite sure on that if I had my own modification of WDOSX to get it to stub the WIN32 binary.

Reply 7 of 11, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to use Boxer and still do sometimes (DOS and Win versions) ... it's the best (IMHO) 😉

http://www.retroarchive.org/garbo/pc/editor/boxer70b.zip
https://vetusware.com/download/Boxer/?id=3809

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 8 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for suggestions, i will try link above..

Could someone pleas share compiler version of FED? I not used to compile such things.

Vi and emacs arent for me, because there using complete alien way how to control them, even on Linux im using Nano in text mode. I want to use save key shortcuts which im using on Windows, MacOS and Linux could be adjusted to same too. Its shame that adjusting keys was standard in later games, but not in text editors:(

What i missing in Edit, i would be bold, i can say i would mind if it would have whole PSpad / Notepad++ features:) There is always something to make better. Im using File Wizard filemanager - which has too CTRL+C/P and clipboard shared in its environment and even basic text coloring for make comments gray..

But in reality, im mostly missing these:
1) Posssibility to copy / paste in text search and replace block.. I usualy need to replace 1/2 letters in long string and write again whole sequence is annoying and big danger on create new typo..
2) Impossibility to replace text - by replace feature only in selected block of text not in whole file..

In theory i would use even DOS navigator, if there would be possibility of change hotkeys.. Second problem is how to create empty plain text file in DN? Im using edit for it and after that im editing it in DN.. I could use someCOmmand >output.txt but its annoying.

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-08-05, 03:28. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 9 of 11, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

aurora!

check out;
http://www.oldskool.org/guides/texteditors/#downloads

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 11, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also quite like Aurora (I do all of my DOS programming with it). It's incredibly customizable with it's AML macro language. I spent several days customizing my settings (quite different now from the defaults which I did not like very much, heh).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 11 of 11, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- i tried Boxer and Aurora, i know that they have zillion great advanced features, but for now, i need to make basic edition working. Some notes + questions for more advanced users, if response would good one, i will invest more time into it

Boxer:
- with MS Word setting looks fine (during installation you see 16 settings) and there is reconfigure option in menu..
- Its resenting my fast key settings, so cursor is slow.. Its annoying.
- Edit and Block menu for feature which are usually in Edit block,are a bit confusing..
- Its possible to remove End Of FIle, text its annoying?
- Its possible buy it now, or remove that Evaluation text?
- How to change how left mouse drag text selection working? Its working strange its selects whole blocks i want characters level..
- Confirm file open by pressing Enter at bottom file is silly, its possible to it without it?
- Replace is strange - if im not wrong there is not possible to copy text to replace line? Pop up / Dialog would be better that strange locked cursor in bottom
line..
- Its possible to get rid of that 2 step action for unsaved file at exit, i know why im existing, i want quick exit without prompts. Its possible?
- Its possible to buy it, or how to get rid of trial info message?

Aurora:
- default keys are strange, but there some config file to change them, but it would be easy to broken syntax, i dont understand, everything and you need recompile
for its.. Its not so simple how would be some action key assigment dialog.
- again annoying end of text, could i disable it?
- After start is opened some E:\4storage/notes.txt file, i dont even have E drive, how to get rid of it? Update: Ok start new one with a newfile.txt