VOGONS

First post, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IPXNET is, of course, limited to DosBox; Kali and Khan seem more or less dead; I don't know how to configure PPTP (and I am under the impression that I'd have to open ports on the server hardware, which might not be possible...)

So... how do you connect real hardware ipx through the internet in 2018?

The reason why I'm asking is so I can run doom2.exe (NOT Chocolate Doom or similar) on real hardware and/or low level emulation (NOT Dosbox... at least not without booting a guest os and using an ne2000 patch) using XTTL's modified IPXSETUP from here (NOT a Doom TCP/IP Driver).

Reply 1 of 8, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Danfun64 wrote:

IPXNET is, of course, limited to DosBox; Kali and Khan seem more or less dead; I don't know how to configure PPTP (and I am under the impression that I'd have to open ports on the server hardware, which might not be possible...)

So... how do you connect real hardware ipx through the internet in 2018?

The reason why I'm asking is so I can run doom2.exe (NOT Chocolate Doom or similar) on real hardware and/or low level emulation (NOT Dosbox... at least not without booting a guest os and using an ne2000 patch) using XTTL's modified IPXSETUP from here (NOT a Doom TCP/IP Driver).

Why not use Kali as standalone tool between two (or more) persons? Only Kali's official tracker dead. Software itself is still usable. In that scheme one should act as a server and should have real (NAT free) IP address.

Reply 3 of 8, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it isn't required. But each copy required unique serial key. I think now when service is dead and you can't get your own serial key legally anymore, it's not a big moral problem to use warez copy.

Can't test Windows version (Kali95) right now but DOS version does work as should.
kali_1.png kali_2.png
In Windows 95 DOS box.
kali_3.jpg kali_4.jpg kali_5.jpg
In pure DOS.

With Kali you won't need IPX drivers (look screens), it does IPX emulation himself, but packed driver for your NIC is required.

P.S. Run DOS version of Kali (almost any DOS network software) in Windows 9x DOS box is a BIG trick.

Reply 4 of 8, by Danfun64

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now it wants me to forward a port in order to pass a firewall test. I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to setup a static IP in Windows 98SE Guest, in Windows 10 host, or both. What if I used the DOS version, wouldn't I need to forward ports for that too?

Also, DOSBOX-X provides the option to choose the network adapter it interfaces with using WinPCap. I don't see that option in PCem.

Reply 5 of 8, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Port forwarding is required for any version. You don't need static IP, it may be dynamic (different for each new session), but it should be "real" (i.e unique) - not shared with other PCs in your local network. Also your ISP should provide it to you as a real too at first (not shared with another ISP cleints). This is important.

Reply 7 of 8, by MadDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got it! Kali 1.4 on MSDOS totally works and hooks up to the kali tracker too, just need to find some players now 😀 Kchat works as well, just type in kchat after connecting KALI one of the servers
https://imgur.com/a/vhKGPPW