VOGONS

First post, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all, I'm not 100% if this is in the right place so please kick my ass if it isn't 😊

Lately I've set up a new Windows 95 environment for myself (actually 98 with 98lite). Simulated via VMware Fusion, works extremely well. So now I'm wondering if anybody has game recommendations specifically for 9x.
There are tons of game recommendation posts on the internet, but most that I've found also include DOS games since they run on Windows as well—I'm looking specifically for Windows 9x only games.

My first test was with SimCity 2000, (of course). I'm also planning to play some RollerCoaster Tycoon and Age of Empires.
Any thoughts appreciated 😀

Reply 2 of 6, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Marvin-> Software, I guess. Milliways might also work. "Windows" is more for trying to run Win9x/ME/etc. games natively on Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 3 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Reading gaming mags (PCGamer, CGW etc) between 1996 and 2004 should give you an idea. At least check the December "holiday guide" annual special issues, which are usually the best games released of that year separated by genre with brief summaries and they're likely to not be dos games (especially in 98 and after where there's only Bethesda and Strategy First with the couple of dos releases which aren't recommended at all).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 6, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good advice!

CGW has its entire run archived and available freely: http://www.cgwmuseum.org/galleries/index.php? … 97&pub=2&id=161

Dec 1997, Dec 1998 and Jan 2000 make a pretty good start.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 5 of 6, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Reading gaming mags (PCGamer, CGW etc) between 1996 and 2004 should give you an idea. At least check the December "holiday guide" annual special issues, which are usually the best games released of that year separated by genre with brief summaries and they're likely to not be dos games (especially in 98 and after where there's only Bethesda and Strategy First with the couple of dos releases which aren't recommended at all).

Anyone knows what happened to PCGamer archive? Links in this page seems to be not working anymore:

https://www.oldpcgaming.net/vintage-gaming-magazines/

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000