VOGONS

First post, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bit of a strange one, I cannot get this game to load up when run with an Nvidia branded GFX card (TNT, GF3, GF4200ti, GF5200FX, GF7900 and newer) in real mode dos. It will also not go to the text mode setup screen using the 'Rambo.exe r' option. Has anyone managed to get this running on an Nvidia card? This is with a clean boot, (no TSRs, no emm386 or himem.sys).

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that for older hardware you should ask in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 5, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is why I posted it in the DOS section, not Marvin, the system is a corei7, z270 MB, booting to dos 7.1, using a a GeForce GTX 780 Ti.
It goes to a blank screen,also with the text mode setup. Then I gradually worked my way through the older graphics cards and hardware I had and the same result (still this hardware is >10 years newer than the game).

Reply 4 of 5, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AvalonH wrote:

That is why I posted it in the DOS section, not Marvin.

You've registered here long enough ago that you remember how we started.

The DOS section was always for hacking/cracking/patching DOS games to run native in NT-based OS's. Using NTVDM found in Windows XP up to Windows 7 32-bit and beyond. It more or less also became a discussion point for other patches: new game engines, etc. Later, DOSBox came along, and the DOS subforum became somewhat vestigial at VOGONS aside from those still crazy enough to run XP/etc. and its NTVDM.

It was never for getting advice on running DOS games in native DOS.

Hence the name, "Very Old Games On New Systems". It's short for "Very Old Games On New OPERATING Systems."

The "DOS" forum is not about running DOS on your Intel Core I7.

DOSFreak, back me up if you see this? 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 5, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's been a long time, memory is a little foggy. I personally joined the forum way back then looking for help getting games/programs to work in DOS on new hardware itself without Windows, not even DOSbox.
For some reason I believed the DOS forum section was about running programs in native DOS, a place free from windows and getting old software/games running on newer /non emulated hardware.
Marvin/software section I though was more with getting old software running on old hardware.