VOGONS

First post, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to install a CR-563-B CD-ROM drive which have a Panasonic interface on my 486, via a CT2290 Sound Blaster 16 card, and all is great. I'm able to read Data CDs in both DOS and Win 3.11. I'm even able to play Audio CDs with the cdplay.exe program that comes with the CD driver kit.
But this is a DOS program, and I want to be able to play CDs in Windows 3.11 (I guess I can run cdplay.exe in a window.. havn't tried, but comon! 😀 ).
I tried several CD player programs (from here: http://www.mywindowspage.com), but all of them (including the one that is bundled in the SB16 CD installation) fail to detect the drive.

Got any ideas?

Reply 1 of 2, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All you need to do is to install the "[MCI] Audio CD" driver that comes with Windows 3.1. After that, you can play Audio CDs with the Media Player. I recommend installing Video for Windows first to get an updated version of the Media Player.

Reply 2 of 2, by anetanel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

All you need to do is to install the "[MCI] Audio CD" driver that comes with Windows 3.1. After that, you can play Audio CDs with the Media Player. I recommend installing Video for Windows first to get an updated version of the Media Player.

So easy 😀
Thanks. It worked perfectly.