VOGONS

Windows XP SP2 Offline Install in 2018

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Lozi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all I'm new to the forum, I have recently decided I want to relive some old PC games but I don't like emulation so I want to build some suitable machines starting with an XP machine.

I have a family members old Core 2 Duo dell SFF pc I have done a few upgrades on and was hoping to use as my XP machine, I'm at the point where I need to acquire XP and install it and after some reading online I am very confused on what exactly I need to get.

I don't want to have to connect this pc to the internet at all I was hoping to use my Windows 10 gaming rig to get any drivers etc that I need but I have read Windows XP needs some sort of activation to work but the activation (which I assume I would need a connection to do) no longer works?

I'm really confused as to what I need to get/do please somebody help I want to get XP on this machine and get gaming.

I was planning to try Windows XP SP2 32bit as from my research I think this will give me the best compatibility could somebody advise if this is logical?

Reply 1 of 6, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a volume license/corporate copy of Windows XP, you don't need to worry about activation. Otherwise you should still be able to activate Windows XP via phone activation, you don't need an internet connection for that method.

Unless you have a certain game/program that refuses to cooperate with anything but SP2, I'd update to SP3 on a machine like the one you have. Microsoft no longer carries the XP SP3 updater, but you should be able to find it via googling.

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lozi wrote:

I was planning to try Windows XP SP2 32bit as from my research I think this will give me the best compatibility could somebody advise if this is logical?

Yes. XP SP2 was the longest running version of XP, so it makes sense for anything from the 2000s.
However, XP SP3 is probably a good choice for getting the latest drivers to work (or the latest .Net framework).
If you're trying to use a Geforce 210 or GTX 750Ti graphics card, you'll likely need SP3.
But if you're using hardware from the 1990s or 2000s, SP2 is good, as well. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 6, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lozi wrote:

Thanks guys so I need to try and find a corporate copy of Windows if the phone thing doesn’t work.

For sure, the phone activation should work; I've done it many times with pretty much everything from XP to 10.

Reply 5 of 6, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The MS catalog still has all the updates, but if your not going on line Service Pack is probably enough, Personally I just go with SP3 and call it a day.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Searc … xp+service+pack

You may need .net or something else for a driver or game or something but wouldn't worry about that until something asks for it.
I wouldn't bother with any security updates, Applying updates may make it less vulnerable but still vulnerable none the less.

You may already know but as your new I'll just confirm, you'll also want DirectX 9.0C