VOGONS

Reply 20 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice to see someone is keeping this up-to-date. I wonder why some Windows updates need SSE2, while others do not. Different programmer? Different compiler? Microsoft caved to pressure and is going with SSE1 until the end of support?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take great care with NET framework updates! They can really screw your system up! I had a backup and i had to use after trying to install one of the September updates for Net framework!
The system is not performing slower after installing the latest updates! However I used one of the most powerful SSE1 only CPU if not the best: Athlon XP 3200+!

Last edited by nd22 on 2018-09-17, 05:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CPU-World lists it as having 77 W TDP. That is a beast.

Are you creating a restore point in XP, or using a clone HDD backup to restore?

Reply 23 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used system restore in Windows XP and it worked!
I am using a motherboard with the 4 pin CPU connector in order to draw some of that TDP from the 12V rail!
I also installed the updates on a Duron 1800 system and it works just fine - no slowdowns or anything out of the ordinary!
Tonight I tried installing windows XP POS2009 updates on an older system (Pentium III) and the performance took a nosedive despite being theoretically more powerful than the Duron!

Reply 24 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh? I have all my PIII's with the POS2009 updates. What did you use to gauge performance loss?

On my dual PIII-850, I noticed that the system felt like it responded more slowly after SP3, but haven't really played around with that system in an everyday setting since about 2012, so cannot say what the updates from 2012 onward have done to its responsiveness.

My dual PIII-S Tualatin's all have updates installed until August 2018 and I didn't notice anything glaring upon reboot. Can you give me some idea as to what you are using to gauge the slowdowns?

Reply 25 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

System consists of: Celeron - 1400 (Tualatin 1400 will be installed once all the stability tests are complete); 1.5gb sdram PC133; Abit VH6T; 200gb IDE hard drive.

Reply 26 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is the system, but what benchmarks or tests did you use to gauge performance loss after installation of updates?

Reply 28 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played Need for speed Porsche and experienced micro-stutter after installing the updates that was not present before! I played Collin McRae 2 and same thing occurred!
A hack exist that modifies the registry so that Windows XP thinks is the point of sale 2009 version that is supported until April 2019! You can google it and find it easily!

Reply 29 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh no. Did you defrag the hdd? Is the stutter occuring during HDD access? Are you able to track down exactly what updates cause this? Is it from Sept 2018?

Reply 30 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It all started after installing August 2018 updates! When I get home I will remove all updates after July and disable automatic updates to see if the stutter disappears.

Reply 31 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't there just one or two Windows security update from August? If you find out the culprit, let me know. After you said it worked a few days ago, I went ahead and installed them on all systems.

Reply 34 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I don't think so! Maybe the operating system was overwhelming the CPU and it could not keep up with both the game and the updates being processed; I really don't know; I will post tonight when I will test more games! I have Porsche, Hot pursuit 2 from 2002; Undying, Quake 3, red faction.

Reply 35 of 85, by nd22

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed tonight the October updates and I can report that all of them are working fine except one:
4458008: OK
4462935: OK
4462987: FAILED
4463103: OK
4463361: OK
4463545: OK
4463573: OK
4092464: OK - this one is for office 2003 which is still updated! 😀
Internet explorer update also installed just fine! The system is not slower or performing abnormally since installing the latest round of updates so with one exception I think that we will be fine this month!

Reply 36 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That is fantastic news! I guess we have a few more months of updates before they cease entirely. I'd appreciate if you are able to report the next few remaining months of pass/fail updates.

Reply 37 of 85, by yuhong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BTW, the POSReady 2009 updates for Jet 4.0 seems to have the same problem as the Windows 7 updates in requiring SSE2, given that they are based on the same code. This will not show until you actually run something like Access 2003 that uses Jet 4.0.

Reply 38 of 85, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Noticed this Windows XP SP4 (unofficial) on https://ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10321

Unknown if it removes the non SSE2 updates or not (thinking not) but they do mention turning off the Windows Update registry hack if you don't have an SSE2 system.

Should be pretty easy to remove the non SSE2 updates from the pack. May make sense to wait until the POS updates stop though.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 39 of 85, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That was my plan - wait for POS updates to cease, then look for some unofficial service pack - I figure some enthusiast will be porting Win7 updates to XP. Until then, I'm content to follow nd22's dialogue of which updates do not work on SSE1 machines.