VOGONS

First post, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to try out Zak Mckracken with my new Tandy soundcard... but boxed copies seem to go by about 300€... and GOG seems to sell the FM Towns copy with scummvm. Isn't there any easy and cheap way to buy copy of the enhanced EGA PC version?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 1 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
root42 wrote:

but boxed copies seem to go by about 300€...

Why do you need a boxed copy just to try it with a Tandy soundcard? Loose copies can be found cheaper. However, people are crazy about that quite overrated game, so even the loose disks may not be that cheap.

However, there were re-releases on CD-ROM, cover discs from magazines and other collections, which you can get for a few bucks on ebay.

Reply 2 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:
root42 wrote:

but boxed copies seem to go by about 300€...

Why do you need a boxed copy just to try it with a Tandy soundcard? Loose copies can be found cheaper. However, people are crazy about that quite overrated game, so even the loose disks may not be that cheap.

However, there were re-releases on CD-ROM, cover discs from magazines and other collections, which you can get for a few bucks on ebay.

Yup. That stupid PC Games CD ROM that i had in my youth goes for 39€ currently. 😀

Also, how dare you insult Zak! It was my very first adventure that I played! 😀

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 3 of 3, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I can report back: GoG version has both game files of FM Towns and the enhanced EGA version. It has no executables, but I needed the patched EXE anyway, which floats around the web... So, even though Zak has its flaws, with weird puzzles, and the rudimentary interface without look or talk to(*), it is running now happily on my 286 with matze79's sound card. 😀

(* it has the what is command, though...)

YouTube and Bonus