VOGONS

First post, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll first describe what I have and what I want to achieve.
I have a genuine copy of BackupExec by Veritas ..which was designed to be installed primarily on 98 I guess.
I have successfully installed it from CD and run the software on later Win95 ..Win98 98se and Me.
but I would also like to install and run this software on XP ..and there's the problem ..
Attempting to do so a popup occurs basically saying ..not for ths operating system.
I'm wondering if installing under 98se ..then upgrading rather than a new XP installation might get around the problem ?
or perhaps there is 3rd party software out there that can fool the install ?
any advice would be appreciated.
I do know that later versions of backup exec were produced for later OS ..but these do not use the backup media in the same way ..which my version of the software does.
ie ...an explorer type front end which allows specific and files folders to be backed up and retrieved.
my guess fwiw is that older backupexec cannot access ntfs .??
but a file is a file so not certain this is the case.

As a last resort ..is anyone aware of software that will run on XP and access DAT tapes with an explorer like front end that will allow me to choose backup/restore specific files and folders ??
rgds
VS

Reply 2 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You really don't want to use old backup software on newer systems. They will most likely not be able to do a correct backup anyway. Remember Win9x was DOS-based with FAT16/32, while XP is NT-based with NTFS. Forcing a backup software for 9x to run on NT is a bad idea.

Reply 3 of 3, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows NT has its own backup program. Windows 9x backup programs won't work with NT Operating Systems as the programs were meant to be used on a FAT16/32 file system.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser