VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have Grand Theft Auto installed to C:\Games\GTA, in which the DOS version is in C:\Games\GTA\gtados and the Windows version is in C:\Games\GTA\gtawin . Does anyone know how to get glide working in this game in DOS, or from within Windows? When I load gtados.bat from within Windows, the screen goes black and I get a "no signal" message on my monitor. When I load gtados.bat from DOS, a screen pops up asking if I want to use the 8, 24, or glide modes. I select glide (this writes the gtafx.exe command to some batch file). When the game tries to load, the system hangs, or it reboots.

I have tried copying the Glide2x.ovl file from C:\Windows to C:\Games\GTA and C:\Games\GTA\gtados , but the game still will not run. In the past, I had this game working fine on this system. The only change from then until now is that I put in a Voodoo1 card to test some games, but not GTA, then I put the Voodoo2 card back in. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Other Windows glide games work fine. Is there a DOS version of glide2x.ovl that I should be putting into C:\Games\GTA ?

Thanks!

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This was about 3 weeks ago now, so I don't recall exactly what I did. I can try installing the VOodoo2 drivers again, but does a DOS-based glide game care about installed Windows drivers? Am I supposed to add c:\Windows to PATH in autoexec.bat?

EDIT: Deleted VOodoo2 card; reinstalled the drivers; put drivers in C:\voodoo2 and added this to path; the outcome is the same. When I run the game, select 3dfx in the pop-up menu, the monitor goes blank with "no signal". ctrl-alt-del does nothing. The system is hung.

EDIT2: Booted into pure dos and ran gtafx.exe. The game tries to load, but the system restarts 2 seconds into loading the game. There is something trivial that I am missing.

Reply 3 of 5, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Trivial indeed! This game doesn't want you to have EMM386 loaded. Is that pretty standard for DOS glide games? Or is there a particular setting you need to use when loading EMM386?

Reply 4 of 5, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

but does a DOS-based glide game care about installed Windows drivers?

Yes, many DOS Glide games have the Glide library not statically linked but load them from either the current directory or - if not found there - from the Windows folder.

Reply 5 of 5, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is it possible to setup a 'fake' windows folder in DOS to get games working that don't care if glide2x.ovl is in the directory?

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME