VOGONS

First post, by Nutricula87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I was thinking of putting together a windows XP gaming rig just for the hell of it. One of the first relevant games that came to mind was Half Life 2 (2004). However, with the news of Steam dropping support of Windows XP in January 2019, I imagine this would render the game completely unplayable on Windows XP due to Steam being needed to activate the disc copy of the game. I totally understand dropping support for such an old operating system. But find it kind of sad that the game probably won't be playable on it's originally intended operating system and in its original edition.

Does anyone know if this is definitely the case and no way around it to play on XP? I was thinking of buying a new copy of half life 2 on disc (for nostalgia), but I guess it simply wouldn't work after January.

Reply 2 of 11, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use old build of the game (2187) from 2004, which you can find on the internet and in my case works flawlessly.

Last edited by Srandista on 2018-09-25, 05:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 4 of 11, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Steam running in my Athlon XP, with that being said source games cannot run on my system anymore because they get and error of a dll, my guess is that the dll use some instruction that is not present on Athlon XP instruction set.

Reply 5 of 11, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Source engine now requires SSE2 compatible CPU. That's why I'm recommending to use that older version, which I linked in my previous post.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 6 of 11, by Nutricula87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
.legaCy wrote:

I have Steam running in my Athlon XP, with that being said source games cannot run on my system anymore because they get and error of a dll, my guess is that the dll use some instruction that is not present on Athlon XP instruction set.

In theory with your Athlon XP machine, you could enable steam offline mode before january and therefore your steam games would still work as long as you didn't attempt to go online again after that?

what I'm thinking is:

*I intall XP on my rig,
*Install Steam and create an account,
*Buy Half life 2 and install (disc or digital version),
*let game update fully.
*enable steam offline mode
*confirm game is working fine offline.
*remain in offline mode and don't connect to internet again on that xp machine.

In theory when january rolls around and that computer is not connected to the internet, there should be no reason for the game to stop working or require going back online despite Steam being disabled for XP. I know it's sounds bizzare, but that might create a preserved legit installation of Half Life 2 on XP (which would be nice to do as kind of gaming archival thing).
I could then clone the hard drive to preserve that working setup indefinitely.

Reply 8 of 11, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem with updating HL2 now, is that you get a much more demanding version of the game, especially with older cards from 2004-2005.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 9 of 11, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not even sure, that current version of the game supports DX7 or maybe even DX8 render path. Also, HDR is globally enabled, so even if some lower render path exist, performance would be much worse, as Fusion said. Not even talking again about SSE2 requirement, which rule out anything pre-P4 and pre-Athlon 64 from the start.

Reply 10 of 11, by Nutricula87

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Srandista wrote:

I'm not even sure, that current version of the game supports DX7 or maybe even DX8 render path. Also, HDR is globally enabled, so even if some lower render path exist, performance would be much worse, as Fusion said. Not even talking again about SSE2 requirement, which rule out anything pre-P4 and pre-Athlon 64 from the start.

Yeah, I think you're both right. It might be a bit of a lost cause. I'll have to just play it on a modern operating system. Would've been nice to have on an xp machine alongside Doom 3 and Quake 4, but alas never mind.

Reply 11 of 11, by tpowell.ca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problems. As Srandista pointed out, the patched version of Steam works perfectly on pre-SSE2 processors. Of course, there is always a chance that Steam blocks older versions of Steam from connecting eventually.
In fact, not knowing about the special version of Steam in time made me switch from an Athlon XP 2800+ setup to a Pentium 4 3GHz with SSE2 support for my Windows 98/XP rig. Although, in retrospect the P4 is a better machine as it has a superior chipset and supports Hyperthreading, so no loss there.

• Merlin: MS-4144, AMD5x86-160 32MB, 16GB CF, ZIP100, Orpheus, GUS, S3 VirgeGX 2MB
    Tesla: GA-6BXC, VIA C3 Ezra-T, 256MB, 120GB SATA, YMF744, GUSpnp, Quadro2
    Newton: K6XV3+/66, AMD K6-III+500, 256MB, 32GB SSD, AWE32, Voodoo3