Older hdd imaging software

Topic actions

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all

Can someone help me with trying make a hdd image of ms-dos/win3. 11 hdd with mbr and same for win95 either over network to my nas box or USB stick

Have try different programs and they don't work because the mobo and processor that I am using are too old.

Machine is is using an atc 1000+ mobo and pemtium 133 and 81mb of edo ram

Managed to image my win98 and xp hdds to my nas storage box with acronis true image and it also restores them fine

Looking to try same thing basically

Thanks for helping if possible

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2018-10-15, 12:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 24, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never use Linux before and try with Norton ghost 2003 but maybe I am doing something wrong but could not get going properly

I was looking for older non-trial version of acronis true image that might work with older hardware but no luck in finding any older version like v8 or v9

Reply 3 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Linux would be best or anything other that is open source. The big name imagers are problematic as they can prove fatal when you want to get at the files in the image a little bit down the road.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 24, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I've used imaging software years ago and the images are dead because either the software is long gone from my machine and I don't know the name of it anymore (yes my mistake) - OR the software is ages old and doesn't install while newer versions don't work with those old images anymore...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 24, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Back in time (Windows 98) we're using PQDI (Power Quest Drive Image). Great, very intuitive software.
However this was commercial software, and may not be easy to find it today.

Edit: I just looked at eBay - there is quite a lot different versions of PQDI.

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 9 of 24, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will have a look and see if its work with p133 and 81mb of ram

Found a temp way for now till I find software that can what I want do to, took the hdd out of the p133 machine and put it my p4 machine and newish version version of acronis true image works fine

But nae ideal cause I don't want have to take hdd out of machine to backup but for now just have to do it for now

Reply 10 of 24, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Older DOS versions of Norton (Symantec) Ghost is what I have and use. Anything older than (and including) 2003 will be ok. Make a bootable DOS floppy, put your mouse driver and Ghost in it, and that will be all you will ever require.

I use it for all kinds of old OS parititons (MS-DOS 3.x/4.x/5.x/6.x, FreeDOS, OS/2 Warp 3/4, Windows 95/98/ME/2000) in all kinds of old machines (386, 486, Pentium, Pentium III, Pentium 4) and never had a problem.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 12 of 24, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've used Norton/Symantec Ghost 7.5 on my Windows 98SE machine to clone a 32GB HDD to a 60GB HDD (after prepping the HDD, formatting, and copying the system files) successfully (took about 4 hrs before, and it went down to 1 hr for copying every file).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 13 of 24, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was so tired when i read this thread I didn't even notice what it was all about. So why not just yank the drive from the old machine and do the image on a modern PC? (This assumes that you have access to one, of course.) Then you can use whatever imaging software you want. I prefer GPartEd 'cause it's free.

Reply 15 of 24, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
McMick wrote:

I was so tired when i read this thread I didn't even notice what it was all about. So why not just yank the drive from the old machine and do the image on a modern PC? (This assumes that you have access to one, of course.) Then you can use whatever imaging software you want. I prefer GPartEd 'cause it's free.

already done that and not my preferred way of doing it, cause i don't want to have to physically take it out of machine to backup but will have to do for now

Reply 17 of 24, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robhalfordfan wrote:
lolo799 wrote:

had a look and don't think dos6.22/win 3.11 and win95 is supported

It makes a complete dump of the full disk or of any partitions you choose, it doesn't care what system is installed as you boot it either with a set of floppies or a CDROM, it's all written in the FAQ.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 18 of 24, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeap I and my company I worked for used Ghost 7.5 on self boothing disks and CDs back then to quickly and easily restore customer computers. I even still have a set of those old self booting CDs I believe and that old version of Ghost would be on it since you only needed just the ghost.exe file. I had a batch file I created for each that would kick off Ghost and ask you various questions about the machine so it would know which image to restore when you used them. I loved old batch file menus like that back then...sigh...

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 19 of 24, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ghost is pretty good. The only weakness is the anemic networking support (depends on what's built into the DOS boot disk).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder