VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have this Tyan S2567 motherboard running dual Tualatin CPUs. While there is an ACPI option to enable in the BIOS, Windows (w2k & XP) complains that my motherboard is not fully ACPI compliant and will not install. To install Windows, I need to tell the Windows installer that I'm using an MPS Multiprocessor PC instead of an ACPI Multiprocessor PC. Once Windows using the MPS HAL, it doesn't matter if the ACPI option is enabled or disabled in the BIOS.

The most prominent visible disadvantage to MPS is that when you go to shutdown your computer, you are greeting with an old NT4 type shutdown screen saying that it is now safe to turn off your computer, at which point, you press the power button.

Is there any other disadvantage to MPS over ACPI? In my mind, MPS is the multi-processor variant of the "Standard PC" HAL. I thought this would mean that my IRQ's were limited to 15, but that isn't the case according to the resource manager.

Is there a workaround to get W2K and XP Pro to soft-shutdown? I see some hack for NT4 which I haven't tried yet, https://nt4ref.zcm.com.au/softoff.htm

ACPI_BIOS_not_fully_compliant.jpg
Filename
ACPI_BIOS_not_fully_compliant.jpg
File size
152.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 2, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When I try to install XP with ACPI enabled, there is a point in the installation (at the end when you see the welcome screen) that the system keeps rebooting. Reinstalling XP with ACPI disabled resolves this. With W2K, I could, on occasion, get the system to boot with ACPI, but no longer. If you are saying that this system can use APM soft-off, is there a W2K or XP hack to allow this?

I read somewhere that the system with MPS is a marginally faster than one with ACPI. I find this hard to believe. Any truth to it?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.