VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello VOGONS members!

Quick question: Does anybody know if there is a version of Display Driver Uninstaller for Windows 9X, software just like it for 9X, or manual methods for completely removing all Nvidia and ATI driver traces and files from the system?

I have now replaced the graphics card in my Pentium 4 machine 3 times already, and I feel that a thorough cleaning of the registry and filesystem would be desired at this point. I kind of know how to gut the leftovers of the drivers (for example, deleting all of the Nvidia/ATI folders and registry keys/folders, but I know that there are the files that the drivers placed in the C:\WINDOWS directory and probably elsewhere, and I am unsure what those files are).

Any help would be appreciated!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 5, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have something called "Driver Cleaner" on a backup DVD that I downloaded from Driver Heaven some time around 2004 or 2005.
The website is archived here
http://web.archive.org/web/20041229084307/htt … cleaner.net:80/
The download link for "DC3Setup_33.zip" doesn't work but since the file is tiny I'll attach it.
The description says it's for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP

According to https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US/filescanjob/g2ag6rxs25 the DC3Setup_33.zip file is clean, but I have to warn you that a single antivirus (Kingsoft) at VirusTotal.com thinks it has a "VIRUS_UNKNOWN" (probably a false positive considering the files inside the zip are from 2004 and other antivirus say it's clean)
https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/a6480e8ae5c … e5782/detection

Attachments

• Filename
    DC3Setup_33.zip
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Downloads
    347 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got it. Thanks for the copy!

In my little bit of research I did, I saw this "Driver Cleaner" too, but if I remember correctly, it didn't say anything about Win9X. Must've been a later version.

I'll try this out tomorrow, and see if my Win98SE install either dies of viruses or fails to function. I doubt either would happen though. 🤣

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 5 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote:

Got it. Thanks for the copy!

In my little bit of research I did, I saw this "Driver Cleaner" too, but if I remember correctly, it didn't say anything about Win9X. Must've been a later version.

I'll try this out tomorrow, and see if my Win98SE install either dies of viruses or fails to function. I doubt either would happen though. 🤣

So, I just finished using the "Drive Cleaner" software you provided, and it worked great!

I downloaded it just fine, transferred it over to the machine in question, tried to enter safe mode and - rats!, HiMemX wasn't loaded, so Windows 98 SE, unable to comprehend what the hell 2GB of RAM is, gave me an error and shut the PC down. 😜

After removing the 2GB of RAM and inserting 512MB of RAM, I was able to boot into safe mode, install Driver Cleaner, and man, this program has everything. 3dfx, Nvidia, ATI, and some others. This, this gets a 10 from me 😀. Any who, went ahead and made sure there was nothing ATI or Nvidia left in the system, and had no problems doing so. Rebooted and - oh no, what's this?!?
oX9BOvxl.jpg

Oh, nothing. Canceled my way through it, reinstalled the generic display driver Win98 has on hand, restarted, and the message was gone.

Went ahead and uninstalled the program, just 'cause, and that's where I am now. Now both OSes are ready for whatever Nvidia card I throw at the system, and won't have to worry about any leftover drivers potentially ruining anything (although I feel the chance of that being the case is small).

Thanks skitters!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png