VOGONS

First post, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if this would be software or hardware, but since drivers are software I'll post it here

We recently replaced a broken printer with a new one (Epson ET-4750). It had XP drivers though (not out of the box), so I was curious whether it was possible in any way shape or form from my windows 98 SE Computer...

I know there is "File and Printer" Sharing, both on my 98, XP, and even 7, so could that be a way to use that?
Or are there some weird printer drivers available for 98
Or is kernelEX really magic and can install XP printer drivers??

Either way, I really want to try hooking up my 98 to this printer in some way shape or form but am not sure how

(Yes, I know, I'm Weird)

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it has network connectivity you can trying connecting to the IP and use a generic print driver or perhaps get lucky with one of the PS drivers.
For a network connected printer the driver and print spooler will generate the PS file, connect to the printer over port 9100 and then send the PS file to the printer.

Some printers also have the ability to print PS files directly from the web interface on the printer or by using LPD from 9x computer.

I'm not sure if SMB1 is needed for printer functionality so if using 7+ and wanting to share a printer then may need to verify SMB1 is enabled and also adjust the Windows security settings.

Some stuff to try here: https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29 … ed-Printer.html

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The approach I remember using back in the day for Windows 95 was:
Install a generic Postscript driver
Install an lpr client (ftp://ftp.dlink.de/software/lpr/lpr_100_eng_240204.ZIP or PMLPR, for example)
Connect it to an LPR server (I recommend CUPS on Linux or BSD due to higher versatility)

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What happened to the Epson and HPGL/PCL printer languages ?
Are they still supported, by any chance ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll need a networked printer that supports PCL or PS, or setup a "translator" for your printer and yes, there are still printers that support PCL (but not the cheaper ones). That will probably narrow your search only to laser/LED printers. To use PCL printers, I'd setup a HL Laserjet 4 (PCL 5) or HP Laserjet 2100 (PCL6) as generic drivers (but you'll loss some capabilities).

Another approach would be using something between your PC and your printer to act as a translator. I use a Raspberry Pi to share a USB printer at home (it does only the network to USB translation) but I guess I could set up it to make something more complex like PS to native PDL translation (depending on the printer being supported by Linux).

What printer did you bought? What PDLs does it support? Is it networked? Maybe your printer could work in Windows 98 with a little effort....

(Another option would be using a PDF printer and then get your PDF doc to another computer that could print)

BTW, my wife is looking for a new printer with parallel port and supports PCL5... somebody is still manufacturing those things? (I mean, I don't know of any printer that still have parallel port even as an option)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 9, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Zup wrote:

...(Another option would be using a PDF printer and then get your PDF doc to another computer that could print)...

This is what I use for my Windows 9x machines. CutePDF Writer is free, well documented, and works like a charm.

http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 6 of 9, by andreja6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Zup wrote:
You'll need a networked printer that supports PCL or PS, or setup a "translator" for your printer and yes, there are still print […]
Show full quote

You'll need a networked printer that supports PCL or PS, or setup a "translator" for your printer and yes, there are still printers that support PCL (but not the cheaper ones). That will probably narrow your search only to laser/LED printers. To use PCL printers, I'd setup a HL Laserjet 4 (PCL 5) or HP Laserjet 2100 (PCL6) as generic drivers (but you'll loss some capabilities).

Another approach would be using something between your PC and your printer to act as a translator. I use a Raspberry Pi to share a USB printer at home (it does only the network to USB translation) but I guess I could set up it to make something more complex like PS to native PDL translation (depending on the printer being supported by Linux).

What printer did you bought? What PDLs does it support? Is it networked? Maybe your printer could work in Windows 98 with a little effort....

(Another option would be using a PDF printer and then get your PDF doc to another computer that could print)

BTW, my wife is looking for a new printer with parallel port and supports PCL5... somebody is still manufacturing those things? (I mean, I don't know of any printer that still have parallel port even as an option)

It's an epson ET-4750, im not sure really what it supports. Its a network printer. I tried doing printer sharing with my 98 and 7 but that didn't end well

Reply 7 of 9, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've looked the specs of your printer, and it does not mention it if supports any PDL. I guess that, like most inkjet printers, it does only support a propietary PDL.

So the only options available would be printing to PDF and then print your PDF on another computer, or set up a computer that do the translation on the fly.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 9 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes. Use an LPR client as noted above. You can print to any breed of Windows NT or (preferably) to a Linux print server. I recommend using a dummy postscript printer driver to generate output.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder