VOGONS

First post, by Fire Vine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so for about 3-4 days now ive been trying to get windows 2000 onto a gateway dx 4720-03, but im running across some issues
first of all the power supply has 1 molex connecter. this means i can only have 1 ide device at once (and i have no SATA to molex adapters) so i can either have an ide dvd drive with a sata hard drive or a sata hard drive with an ide dvd drive, since windows 2000 doesnt play well with sata im forced to use an ide hard drive. but now i have to use a sata dvd drive, and win2k will NOT play well when installed from a sata dvd drive in my experiences. but i can use winsetupfromusb to install it through usb, but this brings me to my second issue.

when i loaded up the bootloader for the installer (grub4dos i think) i could finally install windows 2000, i went through the text portion of the installer just fine, it formatted and copied files without a problem, but when i went to restart into the second portion of the installer, it wouldnt boot and it gave me this prompt
"A disk read write error occoured
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
i tried reinstalling it, and it gave me the same issue

i have 2 more options that i can think of,
1: i can use a sata hard drive with an ide dvd drive, and use nlite to include sata drivers for the motherboard
the problem is, i can NOT find drivers for this chipset (NVIDIA Nforce 630i) that are malware free. ive downloaded some off of majorgeeks (and some other website i forgot) and they both contained malware when scanned with virustotal (probably false positives, but im still not gonna take a risk)
2: same option as above, but instead of using nlite for drivers, i can use a floppy drive to load in drivers, incase nlites drivers dont work
i could try this too but i get the same issue as the first method, no drivers.

so if someone can find me drivers for win2k with this motherboard, id be pretty happy

heres the system specs incase they are needed
Gateway dx 4720-03 (with a new case)
ATI radeon 2400 256mb PCIE (i dont know if its an XT or a pro)
4GBs of ram
random 80gb seagate hard drive (ide)
"lableflash" sata dvd drive
creative soundblaster (sb0200 i think) out of an old dell 4500
some realtek ethernet card i forgot the name of (but i know it has win2k drivers)
nvidia 7100/ 630i nforce chipset (that also supports sata raid)
intel pentium e5200 (i dont know the clock speed)

Z.png

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I could be wrong, but I do not believe there ever were official Windows 2000 drivers for the Nforce 630i . If that is indeed the case, your best bet would probably be to try the XP drivers .

EDIT :There do not seem to be Windows 2000 drivers for that ATI HD 2400 either , so unless the XP ones work ...

Reply 2 of 4, by Fire Vine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ive tried multiple xp drivers for the chipset and none of them work, giving me the same "The file nvrd32.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue." error for every driver.

i also managed to find windows 2000 drivers on nvidias website. but when i download it, it gives me a "confirmation.aspx" file, when i drag it into my browser (apperently thats how you open aspx files) it gives me this screen

unknown.png

Z.png

Reply 3 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

indeed it seems hard to find the actual forceware driver 🙁 it looks like any official Nvida link is broken and just downloads the confirmation web page.

The Raid Install disk link here shows how the correct way to install the drivers (basically the floppy disk method) but is confirmation it can be done...once you find the drivers!
https://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_630i_610 … inxp_16.08.html

I've also had it where installing to a raid is easier then trying to use the sata driver, even if its a "jbod" raid if supported. just due to the way windows treats raids vs "standard" controller

Reply 4 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blackwingcat has some modified ATI and nforce drivers for 2000 on his page.
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline