VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

UFO: Enemy unknown freezes when I run it and I have chosen MT-32 in the setup program. General midi works fine with SC-55, but I can't get it to work with MT-32.
Any idea what could be wrong?

Reply 1 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe it needs an intelligent mode mpu? try loading softmpu and see if it helps

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

maybe it needs an intelligent mode mpu? try loading softmpu and see if it helps

Already tried it and after that I did read in the softmpu thread in the forums that someone had test it and no softmpu needed with that game.

Reply 3 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bit of progress. Older 1.0 version works with MT-32 and it doesn't even have general midi option in setup.
Any idea how to make newer 1.4 work with MT-32 too?

Reply 4 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright, maybe some corrupt game file then?
I know there is a v1.4 patch of the game, did you test it? also test without loading EMM386 (if you use it)

edit:
1.4 has mt-32 option for me in setup?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1.4 has both general midi and mt-32/lapc-i options in setup and 1.0 setup has just lapc-i.
With 1.4 if I set it general midi while mt-32 is connected, it freezes the same way if I had set it as mt-32 in setup, but if I disconnect mt-32 while keeping general midi setting and connect SC-55, it doesn't freeze and works

Reply 6 of 11, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it may be a speed sensitive issue. Try using Setmul to slow your system down. Maybe not...but it's worth a shot.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 7 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

I think it may be a speed sensitive issue. Try using Setmul to slow your system down. Maybe not...but it's worth a shot.

I know I should have said in my first post what kind of pc I am using. I just forgot and assumed the whole thing was about the game and MT-32.
I am using 33Mhz 486 and I have tried it both turbo on and turbo off and it still freezes.
I think next thing I am going to try is to patch 1.0 first to 1.2 and then to 1.4 and see if the end result is the same. I had both 1.0 and 1.4 backed up and I don't remember if I patched 1.0 to 1.4 back then or if I got 1.4 from somewhere else back in 90s.

Reply 8 of 11, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I hadn't thought to try it before, but I have the Steam release of XCOM 1 or UFO Enemy Unknown as it was called outside the US. I do have both GM and MT-32 selectable from the sound setup. However, when I choose MT-32 I don't actually get any MT-32 playback? I see the Midi message light up a few short times on the MT-32 but it isn't steady and again, nothing actually plays. If I choose General Midi then my MT-200 plays that just fine. I have my MT-32 connected using the Midi-thru off the MT-200 and all of that is connected via a Roland UMone Mk II USB/Midi adapter. All other games I've tried with my MT-32 through dosbox have been excellent and I haven't had any issues. But this is the first game I've tried that doesn't actually seem to work at all in MT-32 mode even when selected. It doesn't lock up..it plays but I only get SB sound effects. Pretty sure the Steam release is DOS usable as it seems to have all the DOS release files there and in fact just uses Dosbox to do its thing. So I copied all of the files and manually have been trying to run them through another Dosbox instance that has all of my MIDI settings in place.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I guess I can just play the game in GM mode, but after hearing the MT-32 versions in YT videos, I'd prefer that option more I think.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 9 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just checked on my system - I have the game original installed from floppies and patched to 1.4 - using a SBPRO2 and a PCMIDI interface.
- I get the option for MT-32/LAPC-I music on setup and use it for music
- start the game , the MT-32 is only producing some sfx (like the intro alarm) and nothing more , the activity led is OFF
- if you select GM in music setup the mt-32 plays the GM track (just not that good)

so it seems to me that the game lacks the mt-32/lapc-i midi data that's why nothing other than some sfx are played. I don't remember reading about it on the manual - I will have a look tomorrow and report back if I find something.
UFO2 on the other hand plays mt-32/lapc-i music just fine

Last edited by keropi on 2018-11-25, 20:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jheronimus wrote:

Hey, that’s probably an issue with 1.4 version. Either use an older version or try the patch from here.

this one worked perfectly! the new roland.cat goes in the \SOUND\ subdirectory replacing the old one!
ripsaw8080 did his magic again 😊