VOGONS

First post, by Mismatch2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again, and because I'm feeling lucky, i'd like to ask another couple of questions..

I have a 99% stock IBM Aptiva 2168, P75, 8MB ram with an S3trio64+ PCI graphics card thrown in... Running MS-DOS 6.22. (it has a CT2800 SB16VIBRA sound card as standard)

I've Installed XMEN CotA 8MB ver...

I've finally got XMEN - children of the ATOM VER.1.0 to read the damn CD... (I guess thats a starting point),I have set sound as a Creative labs soundblaster or 100% compatible, and the device is successfully detected. Then I launch the game... uvconfig finds my graphics card, then the game launches... At this point I only get FX sound.... I can F10 to set everything up,joypad, etc... but finally, when it comes to playing the game, I have no BGM or sound track... is this normal for this game or is something setup wrong?

Cheers...

"you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains,however improbable, must be the truth?"

Reply 1 of 2, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I'm not mistaken this game uses CDDA audio (audio tracks, you can play the game music into any CD player starting from track 2). So to have music you:
-Need to have the CD drivers loaded correctly (assuming you are running in pure DOS)
-In some systems, you need to have a 4 pin cable connecting your CD drive to your sound card
-Must have the game CD in the disc tray

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 2, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some CD-ROM drives have a headphone jack on there and that might give you the BGM/soundtrack playback, but, I can be mistaken. I haven't used the CD audio on any of my computers in a long time, except my Ultimate Windows 98SE machine has the Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Platinum installed and the CD-RW has the analog cable plugged in for games and music, and the DVD-ROM has the digital cable plugged in for movies. My Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus has a CD-ROM drive that has a headphone jack, however, I need to find the appropriate MPC2 audio cable to connect between the CR-563-B and the SB16 CT2740 card.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser