VOGONS

First post, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I don't know if this belongs here, but I thought I'd share. Recently I bought a completely NIB bundle of wordstar, professional and correctstar on Ebay. I had no idea which version or what OS it was for, but I went for it. It came in three separate shrink wrapped binders all shrinkwrapped together. It's been sitting in my bookcase for a couple of weeks but today I decided to install it on my 386 and this is one VERY strange package. I hope someone here has some experience with wordstar, micropro or strange software packages as this is way weirder then I'm used to.

IMG_20181128_190420.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181128_190420.jpg
File size
302.81 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

First off, the shrinkwrapping looks really professionally done. I find it hard to imagine that someone has opened these, but when I opened the wordstar binder I found that several of the pages of the manual was stuck in the prongs of the binder, so I had to open them and place the pageholes back in place (I don't know if I'm making sense), and there were handwritten notes in there. That can't be normal? This version of wordstar is from 1979, before my time, I have no idea how people rolled back then. 😜 The flopies say DEMO, NOT FOR RESALE 😜

IMG_20181128_190437.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181128_190437.jpg
File size
428.41 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_20181128_190515.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181128_190515.jpg
File size
395.92 KiB
Views
File license

The second binder also had pages that had come loose, but even stranger was the floppies, or the lack of them. This was the Professional binder, so it appears that it was supposed to come with spellstar, correctstar, mail merge and starindex. Inside the binder were two floppies: Wordstar disk 2 and correctstar disk 1. 😜 It also came with three empty sleeves for floppies.

IMG_20181128_190629.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181128_190629.jpg
File size
421.33 KiB
Views
File license

The third binder was the correctstar binder. Inside was the same documentation that was in the professional binder, and two floppies which appeares to be correct. The two correctstar floppies.

IMG_20181128_190553.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181128_190553.jpg
File size
419.55 KiB
Views
File license

Now to add to the strangeness, the two wordstar floppes (disk 1 and 2) contain the exact same data, and the duplicate disk 2 from the professional binder adds nothing new either.
What do you poeple think? Am I missing something? I've managed to get it installed on my HD and it works, all the disks are error-free.

Reply 1 of 5, by Gene Wirchenko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From '79? The packaging looks quite a bit like the version that I bought in 1988.

What is the key combination to position to the top of the document? Is it ^QR or ^CB? (MicroPro, later WordStar International, seems to have rewritten WordStar at some point and changed the key combinations.)

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Reply 2 of 5, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the manual actually says copyright '83. Top of the document is R in this one. It looks like this manual was never flipped through, but the fact that many disks are missing and some are duplicated is very strange 😒
You don't happen to know if this bundle, or the included software is archived somewhere? I can't find any beside wordstar 3.30 and correctstar 3.30. I would like to complete the package 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My bet is that this was a demonstration/promotional/salesman package , the ones they displayed on the stores for customers to see. After all these years internal degradation is nothing unheard of... Even if it's sealed.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 5, by NevilClavain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

My bet is that this was a demonstration/promotional/salesman package , the ones they displayed on the stores for customers to see. After all these years internal degradation is nothing unheard of... Even if it's sealed.

Those three missing floppies degraded into oblivion 🤣
I think your right about this being a demonstrational copy.

Reply 5 of 5, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might have been rewrapped by someone at a later stage...some Ebay sellers also sell items "shrinkwrapped" when they originally never came that way.