VOGONS

CorelDraw 3.0 Windows 3.11

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by Mec0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
McBierle wrote on 2018-11-29, 19:33:

Hi, i'm trying to install coreldraw 3.0 on my 486 but it hangs when calculating the needed disk space. I'm using a 4gb CF-Card. I have 1.66gb of 1.72gb as free space.
Too much free space? Any ideas? Need more details?

I'd appreciate your help...

Hi McBierle! I was passing by and saw your question. I got a look on responses and as long as I could read them, it seems nobody replies yet. So, I want to confirm the issue is the original Corel Draw! 3.o kernel which can't handle LBA partitions.
The maximum it can cope with is a 512MB parttion.

The way I found to install it was by reducing the partition size to 512MB, using any known disk managment software like Partition Magic (in my case I've used Acronis Director). I finally got installed the Corel Draw! 3.0 smoothly.
After that, I just resized partition back to original size I had (2Gb) and I was able to use it in its full capacity, but this time with my Corel 3 alive and kicking on it.

There is a legend on internet which says Corel has launched by 1993 or 1994 a revision of Corel 3.0 with LBA capabilities and sold it only in Canada.
But I could never find a sample nor even to confirm if that was true. So, I've resized the parition and installed it. LoL.

Important:
You shall not forget that once reducing partition size, you will need to leave room (to free space) on it. As you know, you can't reduce the partition to 512MB with 1.66Gb of stuff installed on it.
You must uninstall things up to leaving just 350MB ~ 400MB on disk, so you are OK to resize partition to 512MB.

I have it running on both Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and windows 95. The installation technic is the same for both OSes.
(Win95 actually works quite fine with 16bit applications...That's what made Win95 so famous at its release time. It could virtually run any of Win 3.1 software, flawlessly).

May you can enjoy your Corel Draw! 3.0 installation and to be happy as much I became by seeing mine working again.

All the best!

286, 386, 486, Socket 3, Socket 7, Socket Super 7, i440 LX/EX, i440BX, 694x, 694T, i815, i845, 370s, 478, 775, 1150, 1151 and it goes on...

Reply 21 of 21, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't keep the backups of old programs on windows 10! It hoovered all the files away leaving nothing. 🙁

The Paint shop pro was one of them. I'm not sure where to find other archives and see if I can find it again.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.