VOGONS

First post, by n-0rt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem with games using the build engine, such as Duke and Shadow Warrior. During gameplay, the main menu will momentarily flicker up onto the screen. It's only there for a fraction of a second, but, as you can probably understand, it's pretty annoying. My PC specs are as follows:

DFI i815EP-T Motherboard
Pentium III 1ghz
256m RAM
Sound Blaster LIVE! with VXD drivers and running DOS emulation
GeForce Ti 4600 graphics
Windows 98SE

I generally run the game after booting straight into DOS and at this stage I think it's something to do with using VESA mode, since the problem does not exist when running the game in that default normal mode 320x200 or whatever it is. Anyone come across this before?

Reply 1 of 6, by n-0rt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On closer inspection after mucking around, it appears to be the HUD splattering itself all over the screen for a split-second every now and then. Happens when standing perfectly still or moving around.

Reply 2 of 6, by n-0rt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Swapped out the GPU with a GeForce 2 MX200 - same problem. Put together a little AMD machine with a Duron 1300 and a Radeon R9600 XT on some old Asus motherboard. The problem does not exist on this particular machine. Also, on closer CLOSER inspection, it's not simply the HUD that bloops across the screen - whatever is displayed on-screen momentarily jumbles itself across the entire display. It's so brief that it's hard to catch, but it's there.

Reply 3 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I kinda remember this is because of the VESA BIOS of these cards that enable linear framebuffer, if you disable this then the flicker will be gone

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 6, by n-0rt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

I kinda remember this is because of the VESA BIOS of these cards that enable linear framebuffer, if you disable this then the flicker will be gone

Hey, thanks for responding! I'm still reeeaaasonably new to using these older systems, and haven't really touched DOS since about... 1994. How would I go about doing that?

Reply 5 of 6, by n-0rt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

NOLFB turned out to be the solution. Never heard of it until yesterday, and from everything I read about it, it had no benefits for Windows 98/DOS builds and in fact might make performance worse. But thanks keropi, you prince, for mentioning linear framebuffer - a bunch of googling later and I decided to give NOLFB a try and voila: no more glitching.

Reply 6 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh glad I could point you at the right direction 😀 enjoy the games they are awesome !

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website