VOGONS

Logging into Gmail with old mail clients

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 101, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This thread is about logging to mail servers using OLD, deprecated mail clients in retro machines. I’m afraid this will not be of use for Windows 10. You should create a new thread for your issue instead.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 101 of 101, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update: I am still able to send and receive emails with Outlook 5.0 on Windows 3.11 guest VM, using stunnel on host machine.

I am looking for a way to make stunnel work with office365, I've recovered my old first Hotmail account but so far I can only receive, not send. I need to figure out why it is not sending. For Outlook 6.0+, stunnel is not required, because Windows 3.11 mail/web programs (IE5.01, OE 5.0) can only go up to SSL 3.0.

But seeing how roytam1 went as far as giving TLS 1.2 support to older Firefox for Windows 9x+, I tend to think why it would be difficult to do the same for any 16bit software... like... Netscape, the direct grandfather of Firefox?

EDIT: Seems that the problem with the SMTP on office365 (smtp.office365.com:587) has to do with the authentication. I can connect to the server, but I can not authenticate. Strange. I can retrieve my emails with pop3 though...

EDIT 2: It's definitely an authentication problem. Gmail accepts plain authentication when less secure apps is ON, but office365 does not have a such setting to "unlock" this.

EDIT 3: And office365 will never have it. Seems that since 2017 it has disabled plain authentication for it. I can receive emails, but not send. I still believe that it would send emails if I had the right PEM certificate for it. (Has to be DigiCert Cloud Services certificate). We will never know.

Anyway seems that I will be forced to stay on Gmail for legacy email services while I use a 2nd account for that with Less Secure Apps enabled. It's a safe decision.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.