VOGONS

First post, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not sure if this should have gone in the hardware sub or the software sub..

So inspired by philscomputerlab's 1 in 136 build, I'm building a "do-it-all" machine that will pick up where my 286 left off (using setmul to downclock the machine and save desk space by retiring a 386, 486, and P75 machine).

I'm just wondering how far into the 90s (or even the 2000s) this would carry me..

specs:
- biostar mb-8500TTD socket 7
- pentium 233mmx overclocked to 266
- 64MB ram
- adaptec 2940uw PCI SCSI + 10kRPM drive
- ati mach 64 PCI
- diamond 3dfx voodoo 2 PCI
- matrox M3D powerVR
- GUS MAX
- AWE32 ISA PNP
- DOS 6.22 and Win98SE

It's honestly been so long, I have a huge hole in my memory regarding this era of gaming. I'm thinking right around Freespace 1 and 2? But that feels a bit off.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 1 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only issue I see with this build is the m3d card. It will benefit greatly from a much stronger CPU, so I'd save it for a higher end Win98 build. Other, earlier accelerators like the Voodoo 1 and perhaps Verite cards have better DOS support.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Freespace 1 and 2 came in 97/98 and are more PII/K6-2 era games if you want decent acceleration.

MMX/Voodoo 2 is a fun combination but it kind of has no legs for stuff beyond 1997; so stick to Quake 2 and before or upgrade it to a K6-2/400 I would say.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 7, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I advocate going all the way to Athlon or better for a high performance DOS system, generally doing dual duty as a Win98 machine. PMMX based machines have superb flexibility which makes them wonderful DOS machines covering the performance range from 386DX to early P2. Most high performance DOS titles have some kind of frame limiter which eliminates clock matching issues found in pre-Pentium titles.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 7, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

I advocate going all the way to Athlon or better for a high performance DOS system, generally doing dual duty as a Win98 machine. PMMX based machines have superb flexibility which makes them wonderful DOS machines covering the performance range from 386DX to early P2. Most high performance DOS titles have some kind of frame limiter which eliminates clock matching issues found in pre-Pentium titles.

I have a 1ghz Pentium 3 for my next step up.
Below that I have a Pentium II 400

Also have a bunch of k6-2 CPUs just need a super socket 7 motherboard.

I just wanted some clear demarcation on which games stop at this machine and start at the nexr

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 5 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I agree with appiah4. 1997 is the latest year I'd install games from. The 233MMX will bottleneck the V2 even there. Games like Quake 2, Tomb Raider II, Wing Commander Prophecy, and MDK should run okay. The Voodoo2 will be a better fit for your P2 400.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks