VOGONS

First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,
In Quake's Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon, I constantly get this error when I load a saved game: The strange thing is that it worked for the first couple of missions, but afterwards I am stuck with this error message.

I resorted to using the GL version of this game, which works fine, but I *DO* like the pixallated, grainy textures of this game (played the entire Quake1 that way!)
please help!

This is my system specs:
Win98SE
798MB RAM
The Abit-BH6
AWE64GOLD
ATi Rage 128 Pro

It has to do something with resolution, since as soon as I lowered the resolution (in software mode, not the GL version) from the currnet 800x600 to 640x480, it works!

Edit: I spoke too soon! Even though the resolution change seem to temporily work, the second I re-loaded the game (F6 quick reload), it failed and I got the same error message.

Any ideas?

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 2, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you're trying to play the dos version (which will use a strict allocation of 8mb at best by default when run from Windows 9X), so try slipping in a -winmem 16 to the shortcut/batch.

Limiting your ram within Win9x could also help as there's stability issues beyond 512mb. msconfig that down!!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 2, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info, but I am indeed using the Windows version of Quake (WinQuake), and I have typed -winmen 16 on the command line. Lets see what happens!

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)