Steam and XP

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

Steam and XP

Postby gordon-creAtive.com » 2019-2-05 @ 22:10

So it seems Valve has finally looked out XP users from Steam... However I found this video providing a workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdowDSc9p8c The problem is, I don't really trust some random downloaded DLLs from the Internet. Could someone trustworthy be so kind and provide the DLLs or test this download for authenticity?
gordon-creAtive.com

Re: Steam and XP

Postby digger » 2019-2-08 @ 23:38

Have you tried uploading those DLLs to VirusTotal? In case you're not familiar with it yet, it's an on-line free virus scanning service owned by Google. It'll use a large number of different virus scanners, including all of the well-known ones, to scan your upload for possible malware. You can also see if the file was already uploaded by someone else and scanned earlier.

Of course even if none of the virus scanners at VirusTotal find anything, that's still not a guarantee that those files aren't malicious. But it's better than nothing.
digger

Postby gordon-creAtive.com » 2019-2-11 @ 12:58

That's a good idea. However I also found that one of my work laptops (*cough*) still has a Steam build from January. I'll try that one first.

Update: Alright some progress. With my backup and some trial and error I was able to figure out that the following files need to be replaced with older versions in order to make Steam start under Windows XP x64:
Code: Select all
steamui.dll
steamclient.dll
bin\serverbrowser.dll
bin\friendsui.dll

Also Steam needs to be started with the following CLI option to prevent the self-update:
Code: Select all
-noverifyfiles -nobootstrapupdate -skipinitialbootstrap -norepairfiles

However I started HL2 which froze my complete system after the Valve logo. Some more investigation is required unfortunately.

Also I wonder: Am I allowed to post links/upload these DLLs here?
gordon-creAtive.com

Postby digger » 2019-2-14 @ 18:58

gordon-creAtive.com wrote:Also I wonder: Am I allowed to post links/upload these DLLs here?

That would be legally questionable. But instead, you could just share the SHA256 checksums here. :)
digger

Postby DosFreak » 2019-2-14 @ 19:17

HL2 doesn't need steam if you use the -game switch
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=64038

Make sure you disable the steam service
DosFreak
l33t++

Return to Software