VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I did an experiment today.

After a clean restart, I opened no programs except for System Monitor. It showed 50 MB allocated memory out of 512 MB of physical RAM, no swapfile usage out of a static 1024 MB swapfile. I then left it for about an hour.

After said time, the allocated memory read 200 MB. No swapfile usage (I have ConservativeSwapFileUsage=1 in system.ini).

I did this experiment because I noticed that, even with my optimized system (drivers I don't need turned off, startup programs I don't need turned off, etc.) that only uses 50 MB of RAM after a clean reboot, I can be working for a few hours and notice that all 512 MB of RAM has been allocated to... something. Even if I close all of my programs and wait a while, nope! Still full up. Somehow, though it doesn't seem to affect performance.

Just now I was doing some work for about 3.5 hours, and the RAM filled up as usual. I just kept working as it didn't affect performance. After I was done, I tried loading Firefox to see if I could get it to delve into the swapfile. But it didn't... swapfile usage remained at zero while the allocated memory remained at the full 512 MB.

So, is the allocated memory reading inaccurate? Is Windows "allocating" memory for *something* it thinks I need, but said memory is still available to be reallocated to programs that need it? Or do I have some kind of memory leak?

Basically, I am a RAM usage freak. I like the idea of being able to start my computer, have 50 MB RAM usage, work for several hours, then close ALL of my programs and have the RAM usage drop right back down to 50 MB where it was before. In reality I know that this doesn't even happen with modern Linux machines. The only place this ever happens for me is in DOS.... [LGR voice]Ahhh, MS-DOS.[/LGR voice]

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 8, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like a page cache filling up. Did win98 have one?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 8, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not sure. TBH I'm a little fuzzy on my terminology. What is a page cache? Does that have anything to do with disk caching?

Reply 3 of 8, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is your MaxFileCache in system.ini set to (under [vcache])?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 4 of 8, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't believe it's set to anything. I had it set to 8192 MB at one time but that was before I had to reinstall Windows due to [long story].

Perhaps I'll set that again and see what happens.

Reply 6 of 8, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting , because on this forum the consensus is that you only start running into problems above 512mb. Furthermore, I don't experience the OP's problem on my system with 320mb and default settings besides a custom swap file size.

Reply 7 of 8, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ran into the ops problem when I upgraded to 384mb on my k6-2 on Windows 9x ,
I would get out of memory errors after loading some small programs until I turned virtual memory from auto to a fixed 256mb size.

When I upgraded to 512mb I had the issue again and had to go in the registry per the fac.

Reply 8 of 8, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I set the MinFileCache and MaxFileCache to 4096 MB. I don't notice a performance hit, and the memory leakage problem is gone.

FYI, I also had this problem in my latest Windows 95 installation, and I was able to fix it the same way.