VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I read here before its possible to enable more than 4 partitions for Dos im hoping to have about 10 partitions at 2GB each or more or to use one/two partitions at 5GB or more if possible. Its just for Dos and Win 3.11 and I bet people here think 4 partitions isnt enough too.

Reply 1 of 7, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, DOS 7 + a motherboard with BIOS support for >8.4GB will solve all your problems. With these two prerequisites, you won't be limited to 8.4GB total capacity or 2GB partition size.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 7, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use EZBIOS.

But also, FreeDOS FDISK is a better partition manager and lets you make more than one primary DOS partition instead of having to make an extended partition with logical drives.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 4 of 7, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MBR - the disk partition scheme for the last 30+ years can only support 4 primary partitions. To overcome this limitation, you need to make one of the primary partition into extended partition, then you can create theoretically unlimited logical drives out of the space allocated for the extended partition, but for DOS the limit will be the last assignable drive letter Z:

DOS with legacy BIOS will not support GPT, which allows up to 128 primary partitions. If you are adventurous, then you can research further on GRUB4DOS capabilities to boot off GPT partition and the creation of hybrid MBR/GPT disk partition scheme.

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kjliew wrote:

MBR - the disk partition scheme for the last 30+ years can only support 4 primary partitions. To overcome this limitation, you need to make one of the primary partition into extended partition, then you can create theoretically unlimited logical drives out of the space allocated for the extended partition, but for DOS the limit will be the last assignable drive letter Z:

This. Create one primary partition + 1 extended partition, which you split into 9 logical drives.

Reply 6 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think DOS6 has a 7.something gig limit anyways.

No one in hell needs >4 partitions just for DOS and 3.11. And if your DOS game collection is >7GB, use Win98 DOS.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys