VOGONS

CPU-Z for Windows 98 BSOD

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Seeing as CPU-Z apparently is "too common" to be used as a search term, I eventually gave up trying to see if anyone else has this problem, and just posted a new thread.

Right, so. I've been having issues with CPU-Z on my Windows 98, K6-3+ system. All the really old versions I've come across, up until 1.44.1 works just fine, but anything after that, simply causes a bluescreen. It's nothing that the system can't recover from or anything, but the program simply won't run. I've edited the ini file to disable every feature, just to try to see if there's any kind of hardware detection that my VIA MVP3 chipset doesn't like, but no luck. I've tried several versions, including 1.78 for Windows 98, which as far as I can see, is the most recent version for said OS.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone found a way to fix it? Or is this perhaps something unfixable? Perhaps the system is simply too old?

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 1 of 6, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What's wrong with the working old versions?

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 2 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:

What's wrong with the working old versions?

Less information than in newer versions. No (or little) info about memory for example.
And seeing as they are supposed to work under Windows 98, I just find it odd.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 4 of 6, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

Well, Lol. Thanks, I guess. I've got other alternatives as well, such as Everest. I was actually curious about this specific problem of "why does CPU-Z cause bluescreens under Windows 98". Which is why I was asking if anybody else had experienced similar issues in the first place. 😀
I guess it's probably not a common issue.

Reply 5 of 6, by ufoman2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

Seeing as CPU-Z apparently is "too common" to be used as a search term, I eventually gave up trying to see if anyone else has this problem, and just posted a new thread.

Right, so. I've been having issues with CPU-Z on my Windows 98, K6-3+ system. All the really old versions I've come across, up until 1.44.1 works just fine, but anything after that, simply causes a bluescreen. It's nothing that the system can't recover from or anything, but the program simply won't run. I've edited the ini file to disable every feature, just to try to see if there's any kind of hardware detection that my VIA MVP3 chipset doesn't like, but no luck. I've tried several versions, including 1.78 for Windows 98, which as far as I can see, is the most recent version for said OS.

Anyone else had this problem? Anyone found a way to fix it? Or is this perhaps something unfixable? Perhaps the system is simply too old?

Have the same problem, same chipset as yours (VIA VT82C598 - Apollo MVP3 on a DFI K6XV3+ motherboard). I decided to keep with AIDA32 😀

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

or you could send a bug report to the developer.....or post in the following thread:
Need help to improve the support of 486/586/686 class CPUs in CPU-Z

Closed.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline