VOGONS

First post, by MrD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am trying to run the game Get Lost by Tom Bombadil's Software Emporium & House of Curiosities

Full version available here: http://www.sleepfuriously.com/getlost/getlost.html

The game runs perfectly in DOSBOX but I can't get it to run on my real MSDOS hardware.

I can configure the sound fine using the SETCFG.EXE and I can hear the sound okay.

When I start the game with GETLOST.EXE, I get the intro sequence with the house and the title screen with music in the background.

It's supposed to fade to black and show the level select, but the game exits after the fade to black with the error Tom says Whoops 21020. If I disable my sound card in the options or remove it entirely, I get the error Tom says Whoops 8002

I also get 21020 if I run getlost.exe after holding right shift after booting.

Does anybody have any advice please? 😀 the only other mention of Get Lost that I can find on this forum is my own post from six years ago diagnosing a broken sound card (which I've since replaced 😀 )

autoexec.bat
@ECHO OFF
LH /L:0;2,45488 /S C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
PROMPT $P$G
PATH C:\DOS
LH /L:2,35536 C:\DRIVERS\MOUSE\MOUSE.COM
LH /L:1,6384 DOSKEY
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
MODE CON CODEPAGE PREPARE=((437) C:\DOS\EGA.CPI)
MODE CON CODEPAGE SELECT=437
LH /L:2,17856 KEYB UK,,C:\DOS\KEYBOARD.SYS
LH /L:2,27952 C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSDC001
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\DRIVERS\YAMAHA\SETUPSA.EXE /S

config.sys
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM HIGHSCAN I=B000-B7FF
BUFFERS=15,0
FILES=30
DOS=HIGH,UMB
LASTDRIVE=X
FCBS=1,0
STACKS=0,0
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,12048 =C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
COUNTRY=044,,C:\DOS\COUNTRY.SYS
DEVICEHIGH /L:1,18112 =C:\DOS\DISPLAY.SYS CON=(EGA,,1)
DEVICEHIGH /L:3,20688 =C:\DRIVERS\CD\ACTCD.SYS /D:MSCD001
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM /E:1024 /P

mem /a/c/p
Name Total = Conventional + Upper memory
--------------- ------------------ ---------------- ------------
MSDOS 14029 (14k) <--- 0
HIMEM 1168 (1k) <--- 0
EMM386 3120 (3k) <--- 0
COMMAND 3696 (4k) <--- 0
SETVER 624 (1k) 0 <---
DISPLAY 8336 (8k) 0 <---
DOSKEY 4144 (4k) 0 <---
SMARTDRV 29024 (28k) 0 <---
MOUSE 14656 (14k) 0 <---
KEYB 7856 (8k) 0 <---
MSCDEX 27952 (27k) 0 <---
ACTCD 17120 (17k) 0 <---
Free 681952 (666k) 633152 (618k) 48800 (48k)

Type of memory Total Used Free
Conventional 655360 22208 633152
Upper 158512 109712 48800
Reserved 393216 393216 0
Extended (XMS)* 65901776 2675920 63225856
-
Total memory 67108864 3201056 63907808

Total under 1 mb 813872 131920 681952

Total Expanded (EMS) 33947648
Free Expanded (EMS)* 33554432

Show last 13 lines
Largest executable program size     633056
Largest free upper memory block 18544
Available space in High Memory Area 4464
MSDOS is resident in the high memory area.

motherboard: p5i430tx titanium ib
cpu: pentium mmx (configurable 100mhz to 233mhz in 33mhz increments)

Actima (generic?) cdrom ide driver
Yamaha Audician 32 Plus ISA card with a Yamaha OPL YMF718-S chip
generic oem serial mouse driver
S3 Virge pci graphics
64mb RAM as 4x16mb simms

Reply 1 of 6, by MrD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

On a Pentium 4 MS6534 mobo in Win98 MSDOS mode, the game runs great. Weird. I suspect it's some kind of caching behaviour on the board/bios that doesn't gel well with the way the game uses its memory.

The only other computers I have to hand are both Pentium MMX machines. It's possible that it just doesn't like that one CPU somehow, some kind of division/math problem?

Can somebody check it on a different chip?

edit I've just run the pentbug checker on it and my cpu doesn't have the FDIV fault so it isn't that. I'm going to try copying over various files from the shareware version to see how that changes it

Reply 2 of 6, by MrD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fixed it! 😀

The problem was possibly a bad write/copy/extract somewhere along the way copying the files from my Dosbox instance to my real DOS computer.

To fix it:
- downloaded PKZIP 2.5 (dated 1999) to replace the 2.0x version (dated 1992)
- redownloaded a clean gl132r from the Sleep Furiously website
- copied my configuration files from Dosbox known version: GAME.CFG, SCORE.CFG and NEWSCORE.CFG (GAME.CFG contains your savegame - unlocked mazes and found secrets)
- burned gl132r.zip and pkzip and files to a CDRW
- extracted on the real dos computer, and copied the CFG files back in

I suspected that the old PKUNZIP was a factor when I looked through the extracted files from my first attempt and found that DATA\SOUND\EL-BUTT.RAW had been named EL_BUTT.RAW by the old version of PKUNZIP. With that renamed, I got a different numbered Whoops error. I tried copying the full contents of the shareware directory over the registered one (except the EXE and the stuff in the root) and the game booted perfectly. I didn't try playing it in case there were any file changes between the two, but at least I knew that the EXE was capable of running on my computer. (As it turns out shareware GL and registered GL are identical except for their EXEs, and the extra added mazes in the WORLDS directory - I confirmed this by comparing extracted gl131s and gl132r zips in WinMerge and all the FONTS PAL PIX SHAPES SOUND and WORLDS were identical. The language files were a little different as it seems that single string files had been renamed to ENG for multiple language support (which didn't get implemented it seems?))

Reply 3 of 6, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad you fixed the problem, mate, and thanks for posting the solution in case anyone else has the problem in the future.

And thanks for the link to the game. It sounds interesting, and I'll give it a try sometime.

Reply 4 of 6, by MrD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've found the real reason why the filenames were broken copying Get Lost.

The reason is that whatever I was using to burn the CD was renaming files with dashes to underscores. I've noticed it happening with a few other games. It could be a limitation of the DOS-compatible filesystem of a CD? Safest thing to do is to keep games in archives if you think there may be dashes or underscores present.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MrD wrote on 2021-05-13, 16:15:

The reason is that whatever I was using to burn the CD was renaming files with dashes to underscores. I've noticed it happening with a few other games.

Doesn't DOS normally given an invalid filename error when you try to give a file a name with a dash in it? This is of course a useful way to make a game slightly more difficult to copy.

Last time I ran into a problem like this, it seemed that some CD-burning programs were more tolerant than others. In a pinch you can try making a BIN/CUE image and then manually hex-editing the filename within the image – but it's probably much easier just to use an archiver.

Reply 6 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
MrD wrote on 2021-05-13, 16:15:

I've found the real reason why the filenames were broken copying Get Lost.

The reason is that whatever I was using to burn the CD was renaming files with dashes to underscores. I've noticed it happening with a few other games. It could be a limitation of the DOS-compatible filesystem of a CD? Safest thing to do is to keep games in archives if you think there may be dashes or underscores present.

ISO 9660 filesystem details: https://wiki.osdev.org/ISO_9660

As you can see in the linked page, the only non-alphanumeric allowed in filenames is underscore. Some CD-ROM authoring software will convert "illegal" characters to underscores in the ISO 9660 filesystem according to the rules, and optionally create a Joliet extension on the disc that preserves the original filenames. MS-DOS and MSCDEX will not use the Joliet extension, but Win9X and later will. However, some authoring programs are (or can be instructed to be) less strict about the filename rules, allowing any character that MS-DOS allows.