VOGONS

First post, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gee, wouldn’t this be nice? If I or someone else wrote a program like this would people use it? I sure would.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 1 of 33, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take a look at Underware's Brief editor.
It does all what Sublime can and runs in DOS.
If it doesn't do a thing, you just program that thing in the embedded macro language of that editor.
(Don't be misled by the term "macro language", it is a powerful language which provides you with regexps and a lexer)

Reply 2 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

Gee, wouldn’t this be nice? If I or someone else wrote a program like this would people use it? I sure would.

...except that most Git repositories stopped supporting the SSH protocols that Win 3.x can use, so good luck with that.

Reply 3 of 33, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would absolutely love such a thing, but I don't see it happening anytime soon unfortunately. I'd actually prefer such a thing for DOS myself, but would take whatever I could get. 😉

I've just gotten used to having to periodically SCP files to my Mac to do Git commits/branches/etc then sync everything back in reverse (obviously important to do in the event that e.g. a branch switch resulted in added/removed files, etc). It does also mean that I commit far less frequently then I would normally do if I had Git support built right into the editor/IDE because of the annoyance of having to run a separate BAT file to move files across and then back again (maybe)... but meh.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 4 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right now what I am doing is opening a terminal to a server running Linux, and FTP-ing the files over there where I can run the Git commands. It works. But obviously not ideal.

As for supporting uploading to Git repositories, very bad idea to make it OS-dependent anyway - better to build the support right into the program. Plenty of ways to do this.

retardware wrote:

Take a look at Underware's Brief editor.

Great, took me a while to get Google to filter out underwear ads. Well, this is interesting but doesn't support Git, does it?

Reply 5 of 33, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Git in MS-DOS? Whaaaaat??? *shocked*

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 6 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

As for supporting uploading to Git repositories, very bad idea to make it OS-dependent anyway - better to build the support right into the program. Plenty of ways to do this.

It is not OS dependent. Git uses your OS for communicating with the outside world. In the case of Git repositories such as Github, the (secure) communication protocol required is simply not supported by Win 3.x. Heck, it's not supported on computers a few years old (without using OpenSSH).
So what happens is that you will try making the connection, and Github will refuse your connection via a nice, cryptic error message from Git (if you use Git's source code as a base for your project).

Reply 8 of 33, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could only get git working under win9x anyway because git relies on long file names. You can often just use HTTP/HTTPS instead of SSH if its not available.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 9 of 33, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this would be an exercise in futility. The system requirements on non-trivial git repositories are huge, and git is written as a conglomerate of bash scripts, C code and other bits, that porting it to DOS would be a nightmare. Better to use a network share and have ANY modern machine (maybe a Pi?) communicate with github and the network share represent the source code that you want to edit on your DOS machine.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 10 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

I think this would be an exercise in futility. The system requirements on non-trivial git repositories are huge, and git is written as a conglomerate of bash scripts, C code and other bits, that porting it to DOS would be a nightmare. Better to use a network share and have ANY modern machine (maybe a Pi?) communicate with github and the network share represent the source code that you want to edit on your DOS machine.

There are Windows versions (alas not for Win 9x AFAIK), but I've found them a pain to use because they usually port a miniature Linux shell to Windows that does not integrate nicely with Windows. There also are a few graphical front-ends that unfortunately suck because they don't even implement all of the basic functionality of Git and are therefore mostly useless (and may lead to fuckups with repositories).

Reply 11 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems, then, that the only way to achieve a Git client for DOS/Win3x/Win9x would be to completely rewrite the whole thing in native x86 or C/C++ code, without any scripting or anything, so as not to have to rely on porting existing code.

Probably a far bigger project than any one person or small community could take on.

So back to the original idea, maybe just the text editor. Maybe it even has the ability to load and save files directly on an ftp server.

Reply 12 of 33, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:

So back to the original idea, maybe just the text editor. Maybe it even has the ability to load and save files directly on an ftp server.

Sounds reasonably good. Question: What about adding a terminal window to issue commands while logged into the server?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 13 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:

Sounds reasonably good. Question: What about adding a terminal window to issue commands while logged into the server?

Oh, that's a good idea. A terminal is a whole other project, though, and ought to be developed separately and integrated into the editor.

Reply 14 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
bfcastello wrote:

Oh, that's a good idea. A terminal is a whole other project, though, and ought to be developed separately and integrated into the editor.

Windows has a Terminal emulation program (aptly called "Terminal") as well as a Telnet client (called "Telnet").

Reply 15 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

Windows has a Terminal emulation program (aptly called "Terminal") as well as a Telnet client (called "Telnet").

Windows also has a web browser, called "Internet Explorer". But we don't use that because it cannot access any modern websites.

The terminal would have to support SSH and be open source so we could integrate it into the text editor. It would also need to be as fast as possible in order to work on the target machines and still give a good user experience.

Reply 16 of 33, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Windows also has a web browser, called "Internet Explorer". But we don't use that because it cannot access any modern websites.

The terminal would have to support SSH and be open source so we could integrate it into the text editor. It would also need to be as fast as possible in order to work on the target machines and still give a good user experience.

Thanks for the condescending tone.

Perhaps you could try one of the two programs mentioned to see how slow they are?

I certainly only had problems when using Telnet on Windows XP to access Multi-User Dungeons. I mean, I had to wait a whole 10 seconds to log in at times. It was horrible. 🙄

Reply 17 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Telnet client on Windows is great, I haven't had any problems with it, and it's fast.

The only issue is that it doesn't support SSH. For that, you are stuck with older versions of PuTTY, which work fine but are a little slow, and probably harder to couple with a newly written text editor.

Reply 18 of 33, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is SSHDOS.

http://sshdos.sourceforge.net

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 19 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:

Ah yes, I have seen this before - could be useful maybe if ported to Win32? Or portions of the code could be used.

Well, I think the first order of business is to write a Notepad-style text editor just to begin with. Maybe I will work on that this week.