Rank
l33t++
duga3 wrote:
Ah, the good ol' circle of life of an average retro PC gamer: […]
Show full quote

Ah, the good ol' circle of life of an average retro PC gamer:

1. conceived by poor parents >>> resorts to piracy
2. gets job with income >>> hoards original CD/DVD discs
3. discovers steam >>> hoards ephemeral rentals of copy-protected games during summer sales
4. realizes steam is a joke and drops support for older operating systems >>> hoards GOG

..this is where it gets "full steam backwards" (pun intended)..

5. discovers GOG games are crippled in one way or another >>> hoards original CD/DVD discs again
6. discovers CD/DVD discs are not built well enough to survive more than a few decades >>> resorts to piracy again

Perfekt. 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 32, by doaks80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
duga3 wrote:

6. discovers CD/DVD discs are not built well enough to survive more than a few decades >>> resorts to piracy again

It's not piracy if you spent hours making bit-perfect backups of your own CDs to reproduce later on your expensive Plextor cd burner 😉

k6-3+ 400 / s3 virge DX+voodoo1 / awe32(32mb)
via c3 866 / s3 savage4+voodoo2 sli / audigy1+awe64(8mb)
athlon xp 3200+ / voodoo5 5500 / diamond mx300
pentium4 3400 / geforce fx5950U / audigy2 ZS
core2duo E8500 / radeon HD5850 / x-fi titanium

Reply 22 of 32, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
doaks80 wrote:
duga3 wrote:

It's not piracy if you spent hours making bit-perfect backups of your own CDs to reproduce later on your expensive Plextor cd burner 😉

in fact it is not, at least legally in my country, almost my entire CD collection i used a backup copy, while the original media keeps undisturbed without being scratched, or experiencing high temperatures inside of a parked car.
In fact the high temperature inside a car damaged the screen my 1st gen iPod touch.

Reply 27 of 32, by dumpsterac1d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks everyone for liking and commenting! I'm letting this chill for a while before I re-share to the usual places in hopes of getting a few more upvotes.

Reply 28 of 32, by Laukku

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some similar GOG wishlist items:

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/image ... tion_media
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/inclu ... _dos_games

My YouTube account, with miscellanous DOS game stuff: http://www.youtube.com/user/LaukkuTheGreit

Reply 29 of 32, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was the 191th one who upvoted this. Thus I think it won't go noticed. A million people visits gog.com everyday, and if I was in charge, I would probably consider an idea supported by mere 200 people not worth of implementing. Reworking thousands of game distributions seems to be no small job.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate resorting to piracy if need be.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 30 of 32, by MotoPete

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Given this seemingly isn't going to happen, perhaps we could each share a list of those disks we have original copies of and upon the provision of a proof of purchase (e.g. from GOG) send a copy to the requester.

It probably isn't legal to do so, but is also (morally) better than outright piracy.

Thoughts?

Reply 31 of 32, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Original installers more often than not had third-party stuff. So it's also a legal problem, so it won't happen.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 32 of 32, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, many DOS games sold on GOG will work fine on an actual retro rig. Just clear out any files that don't conform to the 8+3 naming convention and copy over the rest. Sometimes, the GOG version also mounts a CD in DOSBox, but that can usually be extracted and burned onto an actual disc.

With Win9x games, the situation varies. Occasionally, it's possible to install the game on a modern machine, then copy the entire folder to the retro rig and it just works. But that's rare. Even in such cases, you often need to manually remove various Glide wrappers and whatnot. Other times, the game's executable has been patched to work on modern operating systems and won't even start under Win9x. In that instance, I think it can be justified to look for an image of the game's original discs, i.e. if you already own the game on GOG but want to play it on a period-correct system.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi