Silver by Infogrames

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

Silver by Infogrames

Postby Nick_Arrow » 2019-4-01 @ 18:17

Hi!

I installed the game Silver by Infogrames on my Pentium III 850 mhz that runs on Windows 98SE.
I have a Geforce2 MX 400 64 mb graphic card.
The game was installed fine and the intro movie plays without a problem. When I come to the start screen the screen
is all flickering and you can hardly see anything when I push "new game" the game crash.

What is the problem here? I know there was a problem running this game on Windows 7 but the game shouldn't crash on
Windows 98 right? Is it my graphic card that are not compatible? Can not find a compatibility list anywhere.

Anyone know how I should get the game to work?

Thanks,
Nick
Nick_Arrow

Re: Silver by Infogrames

Postby Garrett W » 2019-4-01 @ 21:57

Ha, this brings back memories. I have a soft spot for this game and it's one of those titles that was very picky and produced weird bugs like the one you're encountering. On faster CPUs such as 2GHz+ Pentium 4s it had a really odd timing bug with some sort of bell, it drove a lot of people insane I can tell you that much.

In any case, you're probably experiencing the GeForce bug, there was a fan-made patch for it from way back then. You can find it here:
http://sylph.me.uk/silver/downloads.html
Garrett W

Postby mikeyp » 2019-4-04 @ 21:42

Silver is a pig of a game to get working on anything other than period hardware. The good news is that GOG have it in some modern patched form https://www.gog.com/game/silver and it works quite nicely on my modern desktop.

Re. yours, try a different graphics driver version. I also played on a Geforce2 MX 400 but it's not currently installed in my PII in favour of a s3 Virge and a Voodoo 1.
mikeyp

Postby Nick_Arrow » 2019-5-30 @ 19:31

mikeyp wrote:Silver is a pig of a game to get working on anything other than period hardware. The good news is that GOG have it in some modern patched form https://www.gog.com/game/silver and it works quite nicely on my modern desktop.

Re. yours, try a different graphics driver version. I also played on a Geforce2 MX 400 but it's not currently installed in my PII in favour of a s3 Virge and a Voodoo 1.

Unfortunately, the link is dead. :(
Nick_Arrow

Postby AlaricD » 2019-5-30 @ 19:35

Nick_Arrow wrote:
mikeyp wrote:Silver is a pig of a game to get working on anything other than period hardware. The good news is that GOG have it in some modern patched form https://www.gog.com/game/silver and it works quite nicely on my modern desktop.

Unfortunately, the link is dead. :(

The gog.com link in your reply to mikeyp, or the sylph.me.uk link provided by Garrett W? The former link works just fine; the latter returns that the site is suspended.
AlaricD

Postby Nick_Arrow » 2019-5-30 @ 19:39

Nick_Arrow wrote:
mikeyp wrote:Re. yours, try a different graphics driver version. I also played on a Geforce2 MX 400 but it's not currently installed in my PII in favour of a s3 Virge and a Voodoo 1.

Do you know any good working links? Is there a better graphic card for my use?
Nick_Arrow

Postby AlaricD » 2019-5-30 @ 19:44

Nick_Arrow wrote:
Nick_Arrow wrote:
mikeyp wrote:Re. yours, try a different graphics driver version.

Do you know any good working links?

For drivers? You might find something useful at vogonsdrivers.com; I'd recently gotten the MX 400 (128MB) drivers from there for Win98.
AlaricD

Postby akula65 » 2019-5-30 @ 20:39

akula65
Oldbie

Postby Nick_Arrow » 2019-5-31 @ 06:40

Nick_Arrow wrote:
mikeyp wrote:Re. yours, try a different graphics driver version. I also played on a Geforce2 MX 400 but it's not currently installed in my PII in favour of a s3 Virge and a Voodoo 1.

Thank you sir for your suggestion! I tried out the 28.31 version and the Silver worked without any graphical glitches! :) Thank you!!
Nick_Arrow

Return to Software