Reply 40 of 159, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote:

WRP - Web Rendering Proxy
https://github.com/tenox7/wrp

I heard about that. I tried it. It only works because it needs your vintage machine to connect to a machine running this script. And it’s difficult to use the keyboard with it. I hope he improves it to use like a real proxy instead of a page to connect to.

Still... I believe that having the need of another machine to be able to connect and surf the web on a vintage device or VM or dosbox instance is not the ideal.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 41 of 159, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I disagree in that if it can be made into an appliance like a router or a firewall, and run on something small like a raspberry or something than its no different than using vpn, or a proxy server that plenty of people use.

Reply 42 of 159, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well.. there is the windows 98 mass storage device driver, that adds plug and play functionality to most USB sticks.. a feature we have come to take for granted on more modern systems

before that, I remember having to install specific drivers for soem USB sticks in order to use them

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 43 of 159, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CBM wrote:

Well.. there is the windows 98 mass storage device driver, that adds plug and play functionality to most USB sticks.. a feature we have come to take for granted on more modern systems

before that, I remember having to install specific drivers for soem USB sticks in order to use them

It works wonderfully well too.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 44 of 159, by CBM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:
CBM wrote:

It works wonderfully well too.

Yes, it makes transfering files between new and old(er) systems much easier 😀

Main PC SPECS:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Powercolor Red Devil Radeon RX 5700 XT
RAM: 8GB*4 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450M-A
PSU: Corsair RM850

Reply 46 of 159, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a fun and nice thread, I must say. I'm one of the few nutjobs here (most likely the only one) who actually uses a retro machine daily not just for gaming, but for general use. The computer in my signature is my main computer.

Insane? Yeah. Stupid? Of course. Overkill? Definitely. Stupidly overkill? Absolutely.

What I mostly find fun is to try to figure out the limitations of the machine itself and trying to overcome and get around them. So far, I have succeded, since it runs Windows XP and browses the web at a very good pace. Using this overclocked Pentium III Tualatin as my daily driver for all my daily tasks also taught me how to optimize the machine as much as possible and get the most out of it. If it wasn't for this system, I would have never developed the UOC Patch and the Enforcer, for example.

Right now, I'm waiting for three new RAM modules, that should let me push the FSB to 150MHz (hopefully, considering that the chips of those sticks are the ones recommended for overclocking at 2-2-2-5...), a 128GB SSD in order to get rid of mechanical hard drives for good, and hopefully, an SL6BY Tualatin, which seems to be suited better for overclocking.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 47 of 159, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it just me, but i can not connect to modern FTP servers with mtcp. I made a Bakop free FTP server, but no deal.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 48 of 159, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean by modern ftp server? It either conforms to the ftp standard or it doesn't.

Reply 49 of 159, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
looking4awayout wrote:

This is a fun and nice thread, I must say. I'm one of the few nutjobs here (most likely the only one) who actually uses a retro machine daily not just for gaming, but for general use. The computer in my signature is my main computer.

Getting the most out of a system just makes sense. My 286 is my main irc system with it's nice big crt. I wouldn't be using windows 10 if the wife hadn't bought this laptop. I'd be on my trusty Dell P4 running Linux. So I'm saving a bit of power in the process. As others have mentioned the modern web is a a bloated pig but there are ways around it.

Good work btw I'm sure plenty of folk will appreciate the effort you put in. Almost tempted to drag out the old ex work P4 I've got out in the garage with XP SP3 on it back into service and watch everyone scream about how insecure it is.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2019-10-23, 05:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 50 of 159, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would be nice to see how your P4 would fare with the UOC Patch. I have a thread about it here, but it's on MSFN where it has the most updated versions. I will have to overhaul the thread here some day.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 51 of 159, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote:

Is it just me, but i can not connect to modern FTP servers with mtcp. I made a Bakop free FTP server, but no deal.

Read the docs? http://brutman.com/mTCP/mTCP_2015-07-05.pdf

File a bug report? (I take bug reports via email. Be sure to let me know what FTP server you were trying to connect to.)

Mike

Reply 52 of 159, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:
looking4awayout wrote:

Getting the most out of a system just makes sense. My 286 is my main irc system with it's nice big crt Linux of some sort. I wouldn't be using windows 10 if the wife hadn't bought this laptop. I'd be on my trusty Dell P4 running Linux.So I'm saving a bit of power in the process. As others have mentioned the modern web is a a bloated pig but there are ways around it.

Good work btw I'm sure plenty of folk will appreciate the effort you put in. Almost tempted to drag out the old ex work P4 I've got out in the garage with XP SP3 on it back into service and watch everyone scream about how insecure it is.

You two made me wonder if there are safe ways to browse the web with a vintage machine running a vintage OS as well. I can’t stop to think about how unsafe it could be on a Windows 95 machine nowadays, for example.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 53 of 159, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you use Windows 2000 with Blackwingcat's Extended Kernel or Windows XP, the safest option is to use Roytam1's browsers. They are based on Firefox 45 ESR or 52 ESR according to the version, and they feature all the security updates backported from newer versions.

A beefy HOSTS file, Noscript, uBlock Origin and Bluhell Firewall, alongside a periodical scan for malwares is also another way to keep the system secure. I have been using the RDD since two years and I never, and I say never caught anything malicious.

Reply 54 of 159, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bfcastello wrote:
Caluser2000 wrote:
looking4awayout wrote:

Getting the most out of a system just makes sense. My 286 is my main irc system with it's nice big crt Linux of some sort. I wouldn't be using windows 10 if the wife hadn't bought this laptop. I'd be on my trusty Dell P4 running Linux.So I'm saving a bit of power in the process. As others have mentioned the modern web is a a bloated pig but there are ways around it.

You two made me wonder if there are safe ways to browse the web with a vintage machine running a vintage OS as well. I can’t stop to think about how unsafe it could be on a Windows 95 machine nowadays, for example.

I highly doubt 9x systems are even targeted. I ran a Win98FEsystem well into the late 2000s without any bother whatsoever I still have it sitting in front of me.

Reply 55 of 159, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good to know. I will probably try out a W2K or W98FE VM and see.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 56 of 159, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had W2K explode on me within half an hour being on the internet. Mind you I was using internet Explorer. It'll be interesting to see how an unmodded Win98FE goes. My set up has been significantly altered from standard over the 8-10 years it had been in relatively constant use.

Reply 57 of 159, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the past few years I have been regularly using MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98SE, and 2000 fully exposed on the internet with no antivirus, no security patches except for 2000 SP4, etc. -- and I have had no issues whatsoever.

I don't think ANY viruses nowadays run on those old OS's. You would have to either accidentally or purposefully seek one out, maybe download something on an ancient FTP site that is infected, or something. Nothing's actively sniffing out that stuff.

I've even had vulnerable services up and running on my retro PCs and ported through on my home router, and... nothing.

By contrast I've had internet services up and running using modern Linux servers and there have been constant infiltration attempts by Chinese or Russian bots almost immediately.

Basically, virus writers and hackers don't give a damn about OS's that take up 0.00001% of the internet. It's just not worth it.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 59 of 159, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Warlord wrote:

I have a copy of dosrdp, idk if anyone ever heard about it, but you can connect to 2000 or xp with RDP from dos.

What?! I did not know that existed. Is that something you could share here?

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.