VOGONS

Reply 21 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
s. After setting up QEMM, which was rather confusing, I did not experience any issue loading IE5, however, I did run into sever […]
Show full quote

s. After setting up QEMM, which was rather confusing, I did not experience any issue loading IE5, however, I did run into several other issues.

For example, at Windows shutdown, I would get

Windows Protection Error #0=
You may need to restart your computer.
C:\>

I couldn't run anything at the DOS prompt. I had to reboot.

Hi, it's difficult to do diagnostics from the far, so I don't want to lead you in a wrong direction, but..
A while ago, when I browsed win31.de, I read that Windows 3.x requires some some free space below 1MiB to properly work.
Also, as I read further, some programs seemed to mess up this space with their own code, which may or may not caused instability.
There are two utilites which can fix this issue, one was called "1MB fix", if memory serves.

Edit: It was "Fix1MB" -> http://stephan.win31.de/dwnlod_d.htm
Alternativevly, there also was syshook.drv.
It's mentioned on Stephan's old Windows 3.1 Tuning page -> http://stephan.win31.de/w31mm_en.htm#Ressourcen

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 22 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I am using the APSIBUF.SYS with a Feb 1998 date on it. I tried the older ones as well. According to Adaptec, this is the file to use with the 1540 card if you have above 16 MB of RAM. Perhaps there are some flags for ASPIBUF which need to be set?

When you ask if I have disabled the cache, are you refering to the L1 or L2 cache? I recall setting the all the RAM to uncachable and trying IE5. I remember thinking "OK, that wasn't the problem". I'll double check this though.

I'll check out HimemX, Fix1MB, and syshook.drv. Perhaps 386Max as well. But... I was planning on doing taxes this weekend as there is only 11 days left. So I'll probably be delayed in looking into these ideas.

Last edited by feipoa on 2019-04-20, 04:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HIMEMX is pretty close to a drop in replacement for HIMEM.SYS so it should be fairly painless to use.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gdjacobs wrote:

HIMEMX is pretty close to a drop in replacement for HIMEM.SYS so it should be fairly painless to use.

When I loaded HIMEMX, DOS would boot, but Windows 3.11 would not. I tried several of the A20 line handler methods, sych as ALWAYSON, BIOS, FAST, and KBC; but not PS2 or PORT92.

Reply 26 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HIMEMX and JEMMEX seem to have a difficult time determining how to control A20 on this particular motherboard.

Reply 27 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It feels like using fix1mb increased the chance of success for IE5 to actually open without hanging. I was going to say it saved the day, but then I rebooted a 5th time and IE5 hung up. What is curious is that some of the times that IE5 opens and closes properly, there's a 25% chance that some files get corrupted on the HDD. Those files are always from the C:\WINDOWS directory and are usually IFSHLP.SYS, WFWSYS.CFG, SYSTEM.INI, or SHARES.PWL

Following reboot, scandisk finds odd errors (attached). Usually 5 such errors all with garbled characters.

Problem_Found.jpg
Filename
Problem_Found.jpg
File size
186.02 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 28 of 33, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if you installed Dos 7 with the unofficial Windows 3.1 patch to allow operation under dos 7?

Just flailing arms at this point, maybe there is a Mr Bios for your board as well (likely no memory hole option either though)

Reply 29 of 33, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

*******WARNING!!*******
YOUR WINDOWS HAS BEEN POSSESSED
BY A FILE CORRUPTING EVIL SPIRIT!
Press OK to download McAfee anti virus
software to clean your computer
of ghosts

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 31 of 33, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know what fix1mb does? It, to a large degree, made it so that I can open IE5 9 out of 10 times rather than 1 in 10 times. Perhaps the SCSI controller card is loading something into conventional memory that shouldn't be there?

syshook.drv did not help in this regard.

Reply 32 of 33, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2019-04-19, 19:41:
Hi, it's difficult to do diagnostics from the far, so I don't want to lead you in a wrong direction, but.. A while ago, when I b […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:
s. After setting up QEMM, which was rather confusing, I did not experience any issue loading IE5, however, I did run into sever […]
Show full quote

s. After setting up QEMM, which was rather confusing, I did not experience any issue loading IE5, however, I did run into several other issues.

For example, at Windows shutdown, I would get

Windows Protection Error #0=
You may need to restart your computer.
C:\>

I couldn't run anything at the DOS prompt. I had to reboot.

Hi, it's difficult to do diagnostics from the far, so I don't want to lead you in a wrong direction, but..
A while ago, when I browsed win31.de, I read that Windows 3.x requires some some free space below 1MiB to properly work.
Also, as I read further, some programs seemed to mess up this space with their own code, which may or may not caused instability.
There are two utilites which can fix this issue, one was called "1MB fix", if memory serves.

Edit: It was "Fix1MB" -> http://stephan.win31.de/dwnlod_d.htm
Alternativevly, there also was syshook.drv.
It's mentioned on Stephan's old Windows 3.1 Tuning page -> http://stephan.win31.de/w31mm_en.htm#Ressourcen

regarding syshook.drv, it is worth to mention that it doesn't play well with win32s 1.30c.
if your win32 application uses OLE (i.e. depends on OLE32.DLL), it won't run (and say you have outdated system component) if you use syshook.drv instead of default system.drv.

Reply 33 of 33, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My 486 can still go online with I.E. 5.0 and Win-3.11.

See my post:
Re: 486 Multimedia dream build ( 1993/94 ).

Attachments