VOGONS

First post, by Banjo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hiya! Back and just about recovered... and now delving into Amstrad fun once more!

I've finally got hold of the second Amstrad games pack (Elite Plus, Steel Empires and Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker)... Snooker appears to be another game that has been altered to only run on an Amstrad machine, since booting it fills the screen with the multicoloured words "NOT AN AMSTRAD" over and over, then crashes (the normal version of the game does this, but with the word "Error" if you fail the manual lookup copy protection).

I am presuming this is the issue, because it loads fine in PCem, emulating an Amstrad "MegaPC" bios, but not in DOSBox at all.

John Elliot (or anybody else), I don't suppose you can take a look?

Attachments

• Filename
    JWWS_AmstradEXE.zip
    File size
    134.58 KiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 1, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Jimmy White's Whirlwind Snooker was *fantastic*. I had it on the Atari ST, and wow it was amazing and very enjoyable. Before that, there'd been an Atari ST pool game that was full 3D, and it was interesting and playable, but when JWWS came out, it just did everything so much better, and in ways that hadn't occurred to us (me and my ST owning mates, at least). The controls, the precision, the graphics (which really drew you into the game), even the flippant touches (such as the flies on the screen if you don't do anything for a few minutes, or the way the balls would hold up a sigh to get your attention), all worked to make a superb game. The only problem being that it didn't play pool, just snooker. But thankfully Archer Maclean (the game's author) later released Archer Maclean's Pool, which was just as good as JWWS.

My current favourite pool/snooker games are Virtual Pool 3 on the PC (I keep meaning to try the later PC games, but VP3 does everything I want, so I've never gotten around to it, and Virtual Pool 64 (N64), which, though it sadly doesn't play snooker, still plays better than any other console snooker or pool game I've ever tried, and I have tried quite a few.

I have a couple of snooker/pool games for the PSVR (the Playstation 4's virtual reality headset), but they're no much good. The virtual reality part is superb, it is really like you're there in the room, moving around the table. But there's a serious lack of options in the game's setup, the controls are bad, the whole game side of it feels very amateur, and the games just aren't any fun to play. But if Archer Maclean wrote a snooker/pool game for the PSVR, then wow!

BTW, the "The virtual reality is amazing, but the gameplay is really lacking" experience is very common with PSVR. Some of the games are really good to play, but all too many of them feel more like a demo of what VR can do rather than a game that's meant to be playable. But once you've played a game with full playability and skilled use of the VR engine, such as Skyrim in VR, Superhot, Astrobot, or The Persistence, then it's easy to believe that virtual reality is the future of gaming.

But overall, virtual reality games are still at the "What can we do with this hardware?" stage. But the future is looking very interesting...