windows 95c display properties help

Getting old software/games running on older hardware.

windows 95c display properties help

Postby Robhalfordfan » 2019-4-19 @ 17:16

hi all
I am not sure if this belongs here

I am wondering if there is way to add and remove tabs from display properties in windows 95

when installed the s3 graphics driver - it had a s3 refresh tab in display properties but after i install the voodoo 1 drivers and win95 plus - the s3 tab disappeared and wondering if i can get it back
Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2019-4-23 @ 15:01, edited 1 time in total.
Robhalfordfan

Re: windows 95c display properties help

Postby Orkay » 2019-4-20 @ 20:54

I don't know about the default tabs (background, appearance, screen saver, settings), but I have figured out how to manually add custom tabs to the display properties in Windows 95A and B. It largely involves making registry changes and copying the necessary files a tab uses to the SYSTEM directory. That's how I was able to add the desktop enhancements tab from the Plus Pack to a fresh installation of Windows 95 with a custom INF script.

To disable a custom tab, you'll have to know what DLL file it uses; you might be able to find relevant names in the video driver's directory or INF script. Search for any mentions of that name in the registry editor, and either delete the key or empty out all of its values. I figure that should be all you need to do. Make sure you take note of the registry values you've changed and where they're located so you can restore the original settings in case something goes wrong.
Orkay

Postby Robhalfordfan » 2019-4-23 @ 15:00

i am a little warey of messing with registry, but how would i do there and the main reason is when installed the s3 graphics driver - it had a s3 refresh tab in display properties but after i install the voodoo 1 drivers and win95 plus - the s3 tab disappeared and wondering if i can get it back
Robhalfordfan

Postby Orkay » 2019-4-26 @ 21:24

I have an S3 Virge and a Voodoo1 from Diamond that I can test with a computer running Windows 95C. Which drivers did you use, specifically? Under Windows 95C, the one I'm using doesn't even add an S3 Refresh tab, but I can adjust the refresh rate by going to "Advanced Properties" in the display settings. Also, was IE4 installed? I haven't used Windows 95C with the desktop update much.

If your S3 driver was installed with an INF file, you may be able to reload the tab by right clicking the file and selecting "Install". If that doesn't work out, let me know what you've used and I can try to recreate the setup.
Orkay

Postby Robhalfordfan » 2019-5-12 @ 12:10

i am using s3 driver dated 8-21-1997 and when I install the s3 driver and noticed s3 refresh tab in display properties BEFORE install voodoo 1 drivers and after installing voodoo drivers the s3 refresh tab disappears but it is still in the registry
Robhalfordfan

Return to Software