VOGONS

First post, by Dracolich

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all, I have searched this a bit yesterday but my Google-fu turned up nothing useful. I have had Doom Legacy 1.41 DOS version on my DOS 7.1 PC for a long time now, but it has always had a problem with the music and the only way to be playable was to use the -nomusic switch. I finally decided to investigate.

The problem is the game music is always static noise while the sfx and the game itself are fine. Legacy's CONFIG.CFG has settings for sound volume and number of channels but nothing else for sound. Yesterday I added zdoom 1.17 and Legacy 1.30. zdoom works with no sound/music problems. Legacy 1.30 has the same problem with music, but 1.30 includes a SOUND.CFG that I did not find in 1.4. So last night I edited this file to specify settings for my sound card and environment then copied it to Legacy 1.41.

The file does work but I still had to fight with it to get any music. Below is the music driver section. The full SOUND.CFG is attached.

# music output driver
# 0 - none
# OPL - Adlib (autodetect OPL version)
# OPL2 - OPL2 FM synth
# OPLX - Dual OPL2 (SB Pro-1)
# OPL3 - OPL3 FM synth
# SB - raw SB MIDI interface
# MPU - MPU-401 MIDI interface
# DIGI - DIGMID software wavetable
# AWE - AWE32
midi_card =

My card is a Vibra16 CT2260 with a DreamBlaster S1 and my BLASTER environment is A220 I5 D1 H5 T6 P330. In SOUND.CFG digi_card is set to SB16, and when I set midi_card to SB Legacy starts with an error that the SB cannot play both digi and midi and then the game plays with no sound. My card has the YMF262 chip so I chose OPL autodetect and it was the noise again. I specified OPL3 and got noise again. I specified OPL2 and finally got music.

My questions is, why does SB conflict and why does OPL3 play noise. Also, if I did not have the OPL chip would I have been stuck with no music? On a side note question, is there a DOS utility to adjust/increase OPL volume?

Attachments

• Filename
    SOUND.CFG
    File size
    2.69 KiB
    Downloads
    50 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception