VOGONS

First post, by Mezmaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On the Windows 98SE computer I put together, I've been enjoying quite a few old games, but there's a few that I'm having some issues with.

On Hellbender and Monster Truck Madness, if I enabled 3D acceleration, the sound was choppy as hell and often just completely stopped. The speed of the games are fine. I've messed with the buffer options in both games audio settings, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm thinking these 2 games are built on the same engine, as I haven't had the same issue on the other Microsoft games from this era.

The other MS games from that era I've tried so far are Fury3, Midtown Madness, and Monster Truck Madness 2, played just fine, as well as the non-MS games I've been playing on this system.

On one of the newer ones however, Midtown Madness 2, the polygons/textures are all out of whack on it to the point that it's not really playable.

The system is an HP Vectra VL400, 384MB RAM, 1ghz Pentium III, SoundBlaster Live CT4780, and for video I use an Asus AGP V3800M/32M video card with an nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 chipset. (I know, not quite a good card being the 'M64' version, but it's the best I have at the moment, unfortunately, but it seems to play the games I'm interested in at full detail settings without issue other than the issues in this post.) The drivers I was using for it were version 56.64, specifically for this card.

I then found and installed the 71.84 version of the video drivers in the VOGONS driver file library, the vanilla Nvidia ones, the final release for Win9x. This fixed my sound issues in Hellbender and Monster Truck Madness 1, but now I have missing or wrong texture issues in both games, as well as Monster Truck Madness 2. It did nothing for Midtown Madness 2, the textures are still a mess in it. 🙁

I haven't been able to locate any old sites or posts mentioning these particular issues, so I'm posting here.

Another question I have, when these old games forcibly install a version of DirectX older than 9, do you have to re-install DX9 afterwards to make things right again, or do the old versions have different files that are used when called upon, co-existing fine with the newer ones? One of the above mentioned games installed an older version of DX, and I'm wondering if that's my issue, especially with the newer drivers.

Reply 1 of 2, by Mezmaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'll answer my own post.

I found the "correct" drivers on Asus' website: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/AGP-V3800%20 … pDesk_Download/

I checked there before and could not get the download link to show up after selecting my OS. I already had some Asus drivers that I found elsewhere and figured they were the same ones. However, I decided to go back to the Asus website, this time with Chrome instead of Firefox, and the download links then showed up after selecting Windows9x as the OS.

So, with Asus driver version 6.31c, everything is working great now.

Reply 2 of 2, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried toying with PCI latency? I remember in that time some Creative boards were bus hogs and needed some special measures to enhance performance.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!