VOGONS

First post, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello folks,

I have been trying to play Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard on my machine dedicated to Win98 gaming. It has a 3dfx Voodoo 4 and Aureal Vortex 2 card, so I thought it should be perfect for Unreal engine games like KHG.

Patch 1.1 is installed and everything is at default settings. I am using the Glide renderer.
Voodoo 4 drivers are latest official ones and other Games including original Unreal run fine with Glide.

Here's a photo of what is happening.

Untitled.jpg
Filename
Untitled.jpg
File size
116.71 KiB
Views
File comment
Screenshot showing distorted textures
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is the text at the bottom of the screen in the main menu, but all textures throughout the game are mis-aligned like that. Other main menu and options text is entirely unreadable because of that. First I thought it was genuine Klingon symbols 😀

What I tried is replacing GlideDrv.dll with versions from other and/or newer Unreal engine games like Unreal release version/v224/v226 and Jazz Jackrabbit 3D.
But then I would always get a message that GlideDrv.dll could not be loaded or wasn't found. Seems the Glide renderer is not replacable like that.

I suppose it might have to do with the game being designed for an earlier version of Glide 2.x.
Maybe some Glide environment variables I can set for backwards-compatibility?

Anybody got any other ideas?

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As per the pinned topic in this forum: "This forum is for running old Windows games on NEW (supported) versions of Windows" Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 5, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yep, same here. It's weird that this issue is rarely mentioned. I'm getting it on Voodoo 3 and Voodoo 5. I'm using Amiga Merlin 2.9 drivers. Have you tried reference ones or other packages?

By the way there's also this thing https://www.oldunreal.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB. … ?num=1427192321
...but after installing it KHG refuses to run in Glide mode erroring out with a message about some file not found for DevGlide package or something like that.

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 5 of 5, by ChrisR3tro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Zoomer: I only tried reference drivers. I suspect it is an issue of the newer Glide version not really compatible with the old Game code which was probably developed with Voodoo/Voodoo² in mind. I suspect it might display correctly on those cards.

As stated in the thread on oldunreal.com it is not trivial to replace the Glide driver in KHG because Engine.dll and Core.dll are dependent on a specific version of the renderer dll. So I won't bother trying to get it to run. Maybe someday I will setup a Voodoo² machine under Windows. I might give the game another try then.

for more Retro-related tidbits follow me on X under @ChrisR3tro.