VOGONS

First post, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

i want to install the game Panzer General 1 on a Windows 98 SE guest system with PCem. The installation is not starting, because it can't detect the XMS memory. If i write MEM into the DOS prompt i get the following informations about the XMS memory:

Total: 65.472K
Occupied: ?
Free: 129.824K

Is XMS disabled in my system and if yes how can i activate it? I have read about the file HIMEM.SYS which is probably related to XMS. But i couldn't find it in my C: drive. Is that file not integrated in Windows 98 SE? This is the content of my config.sys file:

device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=049,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS \D:MSCD001

Reply 1 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any experience with PCem, but in an honest-to-goodness-not-emulated Windows 98 SE installation with 256 MB of memory, this is what I get with the MEM command:

Memory Type        Total       Used       Free
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Conventional 640K 68K 572K
Upper 0K 0K 0K
Reserved 0K 0K 0K
Extended (XMS) 65,472K ? 260,640K
---------------- -------- -------- --------
Total memory 66,112K ? 261,212K

Total under 1 MB 640K 68K 572K

Total Expanded (EMS) 64M (67,108,864 bytes)
Free Expanded (EMS) 16M (16,777,216 bytes)

Largest executable program size 572K (586,160 bytes)
Largest free upper memory block 0K (0 bytes)
MS-DOS is resident in the high memory area.

My C:\CONFIG.SYS is as follows:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

So your MEM output suggests that you DO have XMS memory somehow, possibly through PCem. Perhaps your question should be asked in the PCem forum. I would imagine this is a fairly common problem if PCem substitutes some sort of memory managers for the Win98 SE memory managers.

Reply 3 of 4, by Musti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have found a solution. I made a copy of the MS-DOS prompt on my Desktop. Right click on it --> Properties --> Memory --> changed XMS from automatic to a set value and the installation of Panzer General started.