VOGONS

Inherit the Earth - No Speech

Topic actions

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
The title could be somewhat misleading. But in the past I struggled a lot with this game. Due to it is one of my absolute favorites it was necessary, that the soundcard I use will do it's job correctly. Then I went through half a year of failure, frustration and almost gave up on it. I tried several Soundblaster models - like vibra 16, awe32... I tried an aztech sound Galaxy NX pro... Nothing worked. Then I got a Soundblaster 16. This one was the first giving me music and Speech in Inherit the Earth.
It bothers me that I still not know what was the problem. I did research again and again. Maybe I was looking to the wrong side... I don't know... The question is: what does Inherit the Earth needs to playback music and Speech accurately. And what does the sb16 offers and the other cards don't. BTW: with aztech card I only got speech - no music. And I remember, that i got accurate sound playback when I played that game back in the nineties with an Avance Logic Soundcard.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
I am having the same issue: On my AWE64 Gold, I get no speech, but I swear, that I remember pressing a key that allowed me to enable/disable the speech, but now I forgot which key it was, and now I have tried all the keys on the keyboard with no luck!

Please help!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 2 of 23, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there... It's been awhile... 😀

I never went that deep into programming and software - so I cannot talk about solutions that are or aren't coming with the game...

I think this game is extremely picky with sound hardware.

As I said above: The only two cards that playback both in my setups - music and speech is my sb16 (CT 1740) and back in the nineties I owned this alsound card (don't ask me what exactly) - but I remember it handled the game pretty well.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

never went that deep into programming and software - so I cannot talk about solutions that are or aren't coming with the game...

Well, I just asked if anyone would knew an in-game key press (just like the LucasArts games, when you press CTRL-T for text, etc.)

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 5 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks!

Reply 7 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No luck, I can not hear any sound effects or speech. The funny thing is that I can clearly see that when a character talks, the CD-ROM access lights up.

Reply 9 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I see, will try that, or I might use ScummVM. Is there a DoxBox build that is Win98 compatible?

Reply 10 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also:

Re: KYRANDIA 2: Hand of Fate Speech Issue

"Problem is that some DOS games start to behave odd when there's more than 16 MB of memory. Syndicate and Hi-Octane are two other examples. And HIMEM.SYS does not allow to restrict the amount of memory if you have more."

Copy himemx.exe to the root of your c:
Edit config.sys
Find the line DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS OR C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Put the word REM before DEVICE=
So you should have REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Directly below that line write DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194
So the lines should be
REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194

Reply 11 of 23, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-03-14, 23:50:

I see, will try that, or I might use ScummVM. Is there a DoxBox build that is Win98 compatible?

You can use the latest build. It is somehow paradox to do that on a dos compatible PC. 😀 I prefer to see it as another slowdown tool, like moslo... That makes it look less controversy.
Yes scummvm is also an option. See for yourself what works better.
There are very few games that refuse to run properly with my p3 (Wipeout for example) - so I also ended up with dosbox.

Reply 12 of 23, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-03-14, 23:59:
Also: […]
Show full quote

Also:

Re: KYRANDIA 2: Hand of Fate Speech Issue

"Problem is that some DOS games start to behave odd when there's more than 16 MB of memory. Syndicate and Hi-Octane are two other examples. And HIMEM.SYS does not allow to restrict the amount of memory if you have more."

Copy himemx.exe to the root of your c:
Edit config.sys
Find the line DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS OR C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Put the word REM before DEVICE=
So you should have REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
Directly below that line write DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194
So the lines should be
REM C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=c:\himemx.exe /max=8194

You mean this could be the issue with ITE? Try - but I remember that I already struggled with that on a 486 with 8MB.

Reply 13 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can use the latest build. It is somehow paradox to do that on a dos compatible PC. 😀 I prefer to see it as another slowdown tool, like moslo... That makes it look less controversy.
Yes scummvm is also an option. See for yourself what works better.
There are very few games that refuse to run properly with my p3 (Wipeout for example) - so I also ended up with dosbox.

Yeah, I despise emulating under a real retro PC gaming machine. I swear this game was working on my current system, there is something amiss.

Reply 14 of 23, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How common the games will not work with more than 16MB memory?

This will help me to decide to buy or not yet another 4MB and 8MB modules for the pentium.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 15 of 23, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha... Didn't imagine that I would pull up this again. 😬
I built in another Soundcard in my Pentium III system - the terratec gold 16/96... Put needed lines into autoexec.bat and reboot. And everything works music and speech

Reply 16 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-01-11, 16:53:

I built in another Soundcard in my Pentium III system - the terratec gold 16/96... Put needed lines into autoexec.bat and reboot. And everything works music and speech

What lines did you put in your autoexec.bat, as I still have issue with no speech

Thanks!

Reply 17 of 23, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2021-01-11, 17:43:
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-01-11, 16:53:

What lines did you put in your autoexec.bat, as I still have issue with no speech

Thanks!

Hi..
The lines (with driver path loaded with PATH) are:
ESSCFG.EXE /A:220 /I:5 /D:1 /E:0 /B:330 /J:E
ESSVOL.EXE /M:12 /L:12 /A:12 /C:12

The volume settings are just a first approach... But until now it sounds ok to me.

Reply 18 of 23, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just realized that this game is also speed sensitive ... Didn't realize this before.. there are slight sound errors when using roland devices... Solution: slowdown tool or slower PC

Reply 19 of 23, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-01-14, 15:20:

I just realized that this game is also speed sensitive ... Didn't realize this before.. there are slight sound errors when using roland devices... Solution: slowdown tool or slower PC

I tried this game on my 486-DX33, and still no speech (although I am using an AWE64 again)