VOGONS

First post, by Scandy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
my P4 retro-PC is configured as in Phil's MS-DOS Mode Tutorial (Windows98 SE) with the exception of the audio part: since I don't have ISA slots I'm using a Sound Blaster PCI 512 (CT 4790).

When I try to run Dreamweb (both in WIN98 or DOS with the "Expanded memory + mouse" option in Phil's menu) I get an error concerning the lack of free conventional memory to run the game (590K of free conventional memory are required).

So I try with Extended or Conventional memory options, but I get an error at boot about missing Sound Blaster emulation (EMM386 required?) and also in when I try to run the game (Sound Blaster not detected).

Any hint?
Thank you

THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.

Reply 3 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wrong forum. As per the description of this forum: "Getting old DOS games working on modern hardware. (DOSBox topics belong in DOSBox areas below, not here)." You should ask questions involving old hardware and driver/configuration in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 10, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah. Not sure if it's doable But let's try. Edit CONFIG.SYS and delete the line:

DOS=NOAUTO

There should be only one "DOS=" line in there, and look like this:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO

Reboot then check the output of "mem" and "mem /c /p" again. Do you get more than 542K now?

Also, you can disable SMARTDRV.EXE in your AUTOEXEC.BAT. Put a "rem " before it to disable it.

Finally, I'm not sure if MSCDEX.EXE is even needed in Windows 98. Where is it loaded? If it's in C:\WINDOWS\DOSSTART.BAT, try to disable it there (again, put a "rem " before it to disable it.)

Reply 8 of 10, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, "exit to DOS" is not the same as normal DOS. To boot to clean DOS, you need to edit C:\MSDOS.SYS and in the "[Options]" section set "BootGUI=0". This will boot to clean DOS. To start Windows 98 from clean DOS you need to type "win" afterwards.

However, you might have problems with sound without an ISA sound card in DOS. So you might need to run the game in Windows 98.

Reply 10 of 10, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:

dreamweeb

Hey, don't make fun of Dreamweb. It's a hugely underrated and immensely atmospheric gem of a game. When I first got around to play it, my first thought was "how on earth didn't I know about this game before now?" 😀