VOGONS

First post, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mods, let me know if this is the wrong section.

I've done some searching but haven't been able to find an answer to this question - is the Wipeout-style racing game featured in 3DMark99 borrowed/adapted from an actual game or is it just a mockup for demo/benchmark purposes?

Because it's an awesome style and if it's a real thing I want to play it/see the rest of the level design.

Cheers

https://imgur.com/Po8BcAD

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K

Reply 1 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a wipeout release for DOS on the PC. It even supported a 3D accelerated mode, although I think only ATI cards were supported.

The benchmarks used in the 3dmark series are all tech demos. AFAIK none of them, including the racer in '99, were sourced from real games.

Reply 2 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The closest to an actual videogame in a 3DMark is Max Payne for the 3DMark2001 Lobby test, as the tech is quite the same and a lot of assets were recycled from (then, yet to be released) Max for that test.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by BX300A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the direct info, that's what I was looking for. Time to go get Wipeout.

mothergoose729 wrote:

There was a wipeout release for DOS on the PC. It even supported a 3D accelerated mode, although I think only ATI cards were supported.

Looking forward to investigating those ATI enhancements...

386DX40, Amiga 600, Pentium 75, Celeron 300A, Pentium III-S 1.4, Athlon XP2400+, Pentium 4 I do not care for, Pentium M 780, Core 2 Q6600, i7 3770K