VOGONS

Help I need Busytown to work while accessing it from Windows 3.1

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Help I need some advice here.

So I am trying to get Busytown for DOS from 1993 to work while playing it from Windows 3.1. (You know you can access some MS-DOS games while you have Windows 3.1 turned on.) And there were some problems I ran encountered while trying to get it to run from Windows 3.1. How I know what the problems are is that there were like messages saying that I have insufficient memory, the game freezes when I try to play it and sometimes it runs fine, but it kicks me back into Windows 3.1. I do not know what the problem is.

I tried like different processors mostly like AMD which is great for gaming. And I had like Soundblaster 16 installed. I have the game on a blue and yellow disk, and it had like "Busytown, Lenny's Music toons and Rap, rock and roll." And the version of Busytown on that CD does not have a Soundblaster 16 option when trying to install, the closest option to Soundblaster 16 is Soundblaster pro. Well I do have a version of Busytown that does use Soundblaster 16 and it works fine for a couple of seconds and it freezes or crashes. I tried like different processor brands like Winchip or AMD besides Intel. And I tried like different processors to see if it works properly, but nothing works for me. I tried to see if it works on standard mode, it works fine but when I try to quit it get this error saying that this. "Application error: WINOLDAP caused a General Protection Fault in module USER.EXE at 0001:55CF." What could be the problem?

The reason I am asking here is that I don't know what to do. And I need some help on getting through this.

If you know how to fix the problem that I am in now please let me know.

Thank you.

Reply 1 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wouldn't bother running it in Windows at all. Really its Dos terminal is more suited to just plain text mode programs.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bat files have nothing to do with it.

Reply 5 of 8, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bumrusher89 wrote:

The reason I am asking here is that I don't know what to do.

You simply stop trying to run it from Windows 3.1 and run it directly from DOS as you were already told.

Alternatively, you could try to give a good explanation as to why you "must" run it from Windows.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 8, by Bumrusher89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:
Bumrusher89 wrote:

The reason I am asking here is that I don't know what to do.

You simply stop trying to run it from Windows 3.1 and run it directly from DOS as you were already told.

Alternatively, you could try to give a good explanation as to why you "must" run it from Windows.

Because I remember when my Dad and I used play the game on our old PC he had back in 1994 and we would play the game directly from Windows 3.1. And I would like to play Busytown on how I played it originally.

Reply 7 of 8, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did it play full screen or windowed? What were your Dads system specs?

Your Dad my have created a PIF (Program Information File) for any Dos programs he wanted to run through windows. It dedicates resources and settings for a Dos program you want to run. There is a PIF editor in the Main group. There are plenty of hypertext help files on your system to tell you what to do.

Reply 8 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Please do not troll us. You are having PCem problems so please do state this and ask in the appropriate forum and without leaving that fact out.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper