VOGONS

First post, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EDIT: Decided to take these down, pending further improvements. Watch this space. 😉

In the interest of putting this out there, here's all* my unreleased Descent 1 maps from back in the day. I was heavily involved in the mapping scene for this game at the end of the '90s, so I thought this might be interesting to take a look through. These maps are largely presented 'as they were', straight from my archives. Most of them are incomplete & only a few have any gameplay beyond just flying around and exploring, but I figured some of you would enjoy that anyway. There's at least one in there that did see a release & has since fallen off the internet.
(* more-or-less)

[Link temporarily removed - nothing sinister, just making improvements!]

Be sure to check index.rtf/txt which tells you what everything is. Should be playable on DOS D1, O.G. D1X, Rebirth, etc. If you want to mess around editing or use them in your own projects, go right ahead!

Disclaimer: I make no assertions of quality in these maps! (Except Urban Legend, which is a damn good one. 😜 ) Almost all of these are unfinished!

If you enjoy these & want to see more, leave a comment to let me know if it's worth going through my Descent 2 archives & releasing those as well. That will take longer since there's a ton of stuff there (I was mainly a D2 mapper), but much more of it is complete & playable.

On that note... my entire old suite of editing tools are now installed & working on my current Win98 box. Hmm...

Last edited by xjas on 2019-07-23, 18:29. Edited 1 time in total.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 2 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ I had a look around a while ago, and it seems like most of them have evaporated from the web, which was part of the imputes for releasing this pack. 😀 I used to host on my own website back in the day, but of course that's long gone (& never made it on the Internet Archive either.) Nothing of mine is on the currently-maintained Descent Mission Database; there's probably some scattered maps on Archive.org copies of Pooterman's or Koolbear's (holy shit, I haven't thought about those sites in ages! Anyone else remember them?) but I didn't dig too deep down that hole.

IIRC Urban Legend was the only fully "released" D1 map of mine, and it's in this pack. I'm actually surprised it wasn't still floating around, since it was one of my more popular ones. The rest of my stuff was all D2.

I was a prolific mapper but not a prolific releaser, if you get my drift. 😜 I used to share a lot of stuff on a modder's mailing list, but much of it didn't hit the web.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 3 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for sharing!
I am not much of a descent fan but next chance I get I'll try urban legend 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 4, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

On that note... my entire old suite of editing tools are now installed & working on my current Win98 box. Hmm...

thingthathappened.png
Filename
thingthathappened.png
File size
310.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So that was a thing that happened. Or, is happening. I dunno.