VOGONS

First post, by diovanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to build a system where NT3.51 can coexist peacefully with higher NT versions.

Is it possible to stop Windows 2K/XP (and VISTA?) from upgrading a mounted NTFS volume from version 1.1 to 3.0? A registry hack or a patch, perhaps? Any ideas?

I don't want to have to use FAT for NT3.51 as I'm limited to just 2GB (or 4GB if I use that unholy FAT cluster size), nor do I want to deal with partition hiding.

Reply 1 of 11, by BushLin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you use only primary partitions and hide the others during install you can use a boot manager like PLOP or XOSL and create boot entries which hide NT 3.51 from the other installations. Once set up all the hiding/unhiding is automatic.

Screw period correct; I wanted a faster system back then. I choose no dropped frames, super fast loading, fully compatible and quiet operation.

Reply 3 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might be able to use NT 4s SP5-6 NTFS driver and utils.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 4 of 11, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't answer the part about NTFS, however I know that NT3.51 and 2K/XP can coexist on FAT32 when using the replacement fastfat driver and registry setting on NT to enable FAT32.

The Win2K NTLDR can boot NT3.51, but the WinXP NTLDR cannot. So on my setup I have both, with the Win2K NTLDR renamed to N2LDR or something, and a boot sector was modified to start that one. The WinXP boot menu comes up initially, and from there I can select an option to get the Win2K boot menu which itself has the option to boot NT.

Reply 5 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Changing the NTFS version is the biggest issue here it'll be interesting to see that solved.

Reply 6 of 11, by diovanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

You might be able to use NT 4s SP5-6 NTFS driver and utils.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I replaced the 3.51 NTFS.SYS with the one from 4.0 SP6. It said the NTFS.SYS was missing or corrupted upon booting.

I'm considering using FAT32 for this build... Or HPFS????

Reply 7 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What about using HPFS ? NT 3.x to Win2k supported it, or so I heard.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

NT3.51s install routine only allows installation on Fat16 or NTFS partitions but you can convert these to HPFS. HPFS partitions over 4gig can have issues.
NT 4 process to access HPFS https://www.itprotoday.com/compute-engines/using-hpfs-nt-40
Win2k process to access HPFS https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/How_t … om_Windows_2000

Filename
hpfsw2k.zip
File size
60.59 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 11, by diovanti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote:

HPFS partitions over 4gig can have issues.

What kind of issues? Can't have files greater 4GB or data corruption? I can seem to find anything on the web about this.

I have successfully mounted HPFS volumes in NT4/2K before, as long as the volume size was no bigger than 8GB. There didn't seem to be any problems, however I never filled any of the volumes with data past 4GB.

Reply 10 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very early on there were rep0rts of data corruption.

Reply 11 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never tried but would a small Fat16 primary partition for the boot loader to live work? It wouldn't have to be much as it is only the boot loader
Windows would then be installed on D:\ and above.

although if bakemono says is true about XP's NTLDR dropping NT3 support I think your screwed no matter what the drive is formatted as.
In that case you would have to find a modified ntldr if such a thing exists or go down the hide partition option