VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-21, 19:09:

I guess they must be doing things differently cause I've had zero issues with EAX based games. I just installed the first Witcher game and set it up in alchemy and was able to enable eax support and it sounds the way it's supposed to.

I think ideal would be ability to get refund if you find missing/broken features. If someone can confirm this is possible to do then it would be much safer to shop around and then do your own testing with each game. There is a too much technical details that realistically GOG won't be able to list them in the product page.

The primary focus for these distributions is "classic old games on current systems" so, in theory, there could be some issues when you are using more period-correct systems. I think GOG usually only offers 1 build for a game and it is probably not the original one.

Then there are also licensing issues, for example songs are sometimes removed.

Before this goes too off-topic I would just like to sum up my thoughts ----> If you want to make sure you are playing "the original" then you might really need the original build instead of these modern ones.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 21 of 24, by SBB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Slight correction here worth mentioning as I just had this problem and found this thread - the bioshock.exe file needs to go into the Bioshock\Builds\Release folder - i was a bit confused when I put it into the "Bioshock" root folder and got an error about a missing DLL when launching the game!

Reply 22 of 24, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
duga3 wrote on 2021-01-21, 17:53:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-21, 13:25:

I want to purchase Bioshock from GOG does this effect their version as well?

AFAIK GOG only sells the remaster, not the original. OP's question was about the original.

Next time don't "buy" games with DRM 😜

GOG Remaster also comes with a DRM-free version of the original.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 23 of 24, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When pirated versions become the better Option..
I also have BioShock on Disc.. not yet tried to install it since years.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 24 of 24, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GOG provides both original and remaster as separate installs. It goes on sale fairly often too. Although nothing stops you to download it from you know where (wink-wink nudge-nudge) and apply DRMless executable as a "patch" to your disk version.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.